PDA

View Full Version : What savage is it?

teebirdhyzer
02-22-2012, 01:21 PM
today at a pawn shop, I saw a stainless .300 win mag savage rifle. It was a flat back without accutrigger and had a very nice composite stock that looked an felt much nicer and stiffer than the standard tupperware. Could be maybe a H.S. or Mcmillain? The barrel was 24" and looked like a sporter/light magnum contour. It also had a different looking bolt handle...almost had a tactical style knob on it. Any idea what this rifle is, and do you think the stock was a factory offering?

darkker
02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Without pictures who knows. The stock could be anything, H&S, Duramaxx, etc.
Bolt knobs could be TW, Custom, Fred's, etc...

Stainless, synthetic(if that's what it started out as) it is probably in the weather warrior family. IIRC that is a 116 series gun.

Pre-accu, it is almost positively a "kit" gun someone built.

nsaqam
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Being a kit gun isn't necessarily a bad thing as the builder may have used top quality parts.

I'd take one McMillan over a truckload of any other stock Savage offers (except for the McMillan stocked factory rifles)

Barrel may be aftermarket as well and that is almost always a good thing.

PICS!

teebirdhyzer
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
I should be that way again next week. I will check it out a little further and see if I can tell what is factory and maybe find some markings on the stock/barrel to get some idea of what everything is. I dont need a .300 win mag, but if it ends up being a bargain with a great stock, etc. then who knows....

darkker
02-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Didn't mean to infer that a kit was a bad thing, most of the Savages I have/had were that way when they came to me.
Just mean it probably didn't originally come that way.