PDA

View Full Version : lrpv dbm with misaligned barrel

Stockrex
02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
I just received my lrpv dbm 223 with Hs precision
Stock, the barrel does not have any fluting,
First I found a 3 inch long scrape in the barrel. Then looking at the barrel from the crown I found that the barrel was not centered on the stock. It is nearly all the way to the left but not touching.
Is this something I can fix?

Alas, what the heck is wrong with savage,

82boy
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Alas, what the heck is wrong with savage,

Its a mass produced rifle, not a custom build. What do you expect?

It is possible that when the rifle was assembled that te recoil lug was not seated against the stock, To fix this, loosen the action screws, and place the rifle on the recoil pad with the muzzel up, and re-tighten the action screws. On the scrape in the barrell all I can say is the best shooting Savage barrels I have ever had had similare scrapes in the bore. If it truly displease you then call Savage and send it back, they have an excellent customer service departement. Me personaly I would take it out and shoot it and see how it does, if it shoots good don't wory about it.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 02:53 PM
You don't expect perfection but given how this is one of Savages highest priced models you'd expect a bit more care in assembly.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
If the scrape is in the bore I'd send it back to Savage without ever shooting it. If nothing else it will be a place for copper to build up.

Why should you allow Savage to send you a substandard barrel in one of their priciest models?
Maybe if more people refused to accept their (more than occasional) corncob rough barrels then Savage would stop putting them on their rifles.

I'm just saying at $1000+ I wouldn't accept it.
At $300 maybe so.

Stockrex
02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
The scrape is aesthetic, so no worries.
Patrick, thanks, I am trying understand how a barrel be off the center on v block,
I thought it pulls the barrel and center it and the screws should not have room to wiggle.

Blue Avenger
02-21-2012, 06:34 PM
they are machined and THEN heat treated. some warping could take place.

jinx-)
02-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah I remember my ordeal with 12 LRPV, it came with laminate stock instead of HS and action with the barrel were misaligned with the stock, so barrel was touching barrel channel, plus chamber was cut off center with the bore and it had heavy chatter, anyway I bedded it to fix alignment issue and replaced its barrel with CBI, that was last time I bought factory mass produced rifle.

82boy
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm just saying at $1000+ I wouldn't accept it.
At $300 maybe so.

And people called me picky when I paid $1300 for a Bat action, (No barel stock trigger, or anything else.) and had to send it back twice to get fixed. Sometimes bad get out, its just a fact of life.

northlander
02-22-2012, 12:13 AM
I have seen several H-S Precision stocks that do not allow the LRPV and now LRP Rifles to sit 100% centered. The aluminium frame is not always centered in the molded stock. If that is the case here Savage should work with you to correct this fault as well. A minor amount of misalignment is not a real problem. If you end up bedding the action you can correct for most of that.

Jim Briggs
NSS

frank1947
02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Savage is really good on taking care of any problems, I have sent several back and in 3 wks they take care of the issue, most of mine were all unexceptible barrels.

jinx-)
02-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Frank, I think you got lucky with Savage production cycle, for me it was long wait, then somehow they forgot to send me replacement when their cycle was on 6.5mm barrels so they offered me replacement in 6mm and I took it, I guess it just my luck....

frank1947
02-22-2012, 11:16 PM
No kidding, I was very lucky then they swapped two different guns and two barrels out in no time flat and a couple years apart one was my f class 6br and the other was a 10 fcp 223

pdog06
02-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Like Jim said, the problem is most likely a stock issue. Not a barrel issue.

Call Savage and see what they say, or you can bed the action and forget about it.

I take it you didnt notice these problems till after you filled out the paperwork to buy it?

Stockrex
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Nope, I just checked and confirmed I received the correct rifle.
I will take a peek at the rifle tomorrow when I am back home

Stockrex
02-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I took the stock off, and wow, the front screw hole in the alu block is about 1.5x the diameter of the screw, so it is wiggling and settles on one side...

So I am guessing I can resolve this by adding pillers/sleeves for the front and rear screws?
what kinda material can I use for pillars and where do I find it locally (lowes?)

Also if the pillars are not thick enough and still wiggle in the alu block, what do I do?

Jim, thanks for confirming I am not alone with this issue, I will give you a call tomorrow Monday evening to add to my order.

Blue Avenger
02-25-2012, 11:21 PM
I use threaded lamp rod

stangfish
02-25-2012, 11:41 PM
I use threaded lamp rod

we need a "Great Idea Sticky"

Bad Water Bill
02-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Not all of us grew up with cash in our pockets. We learned how to think for ourselves and make due with whatever we had at hand.

That is why folks come here from all walks of life. Just about any kind of problem with a Savage can be solved without leaving your home. Just keep asking questions and sooner or later one of us OLD cheap skates can help.

But only if you ask nice and ship us lots and lots of once fired Lapua brass. :) :)

Trent
02-26-2012, 01:57 AM
If it is unacceptable send it back. Fixing "it" ourselves perpetuates the problem. This goes with ANY commercial product. The idea that you need to buy a custom rifle to get an acceptable product is ludicrous... in my opinion.

That being said, I am 100% satisfied with my LRP in 6.5CM. If I wasn't I sure as heck would try fixing it myself. Not when it is as described by the OP.

Stockrex
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Bill, I am all for fixing problems, it is not only a question of economics but one of a challenge, that is what I do for a living, but at home I have x # of minutes between diaper changes and homework with the older one :-). So I think it is more a state of mind to accept production issues at savage and solve them, I am still at odds with it, having paid $11xx for a rifle.

I was looking a older ballpoint pen to use the body for now as a pillar for screw, hmmm, can't seem to find one, oh well, I will take to the range as and shoot it first.