PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed - .223 bolt heads

KTV
02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
for the experts:

are there differences between a Savage 110 long action .223
bolt head, and a Savage 10 short action .223 bolt head?

or are they similar enough that they could be swapped without
any issues or problems.

TIA

airaddict
02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
There are differences between them. The long action bolt heads are different than the SA heads. It breaks it down in the fFAQ section on here. The LA heads are longer in the shank portion that goes inside the bolt body and on the lug thickness varies. Check out that section and it spells it out pretty nicely.

Brian

82boy
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
are there differences between a Savage 110 long action .223
bolt head, and a Savage 10 short action .223 bolt head?

Yes.

or are they similar enough that they could be swapped without
any issues or problems.

Nope, unless you like punturing primers, and getting gas spit back in your face.

stangfish
02-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Look in the FAQ section of this forum and you will find a lot of information on things of this nature.

I found this there
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,10416.0.html

KTV
02-20-2012, 03:19 PM
thanks all.

geargrinder
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Just thinking out loud.....

A 0.190" spacer on the end of the end of the shank would probably work. It would give the proper stop for the firing pin.

handirifle
02-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Just thinking out loud.....

A 0.190" spacer on the end of the end of the shank would probably work. It would give the proper stop for the firing pin.

While that might work using a long action head, in a short action bolt, it wouldn't work the other way around. The long action's bolt head, has a longer shank, and if you used a short action bolt head, in a long action bolt body the pin holes would not line up cause the shank on the bolt head would NOT reach the hole.

Also, I do not believe they make the .378 head, for the long action bolt any more, if I am not mistaken.

geargrinder
02-21-2012, 12:09 AM
My instance would be using a short action bolt head in a long action bolt. The spacer would function only as a firing pin stop.

A long action bolt head would not work in a short action bolt. The firing pin would be stopped 0.190" early.

They don't make them anymore. They are getting tough to find. I'll never get rid of either of mine. I have a LH and a RH.