PDA

View Full Version : bolt lift kit clarification

rammerjammer
02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
ok let me say that im not that handy and im not real confident changing out stock parts on weapons. i recently bought a 110 fcp h&s stock in 300 win mag and the bolt lift isnt horrible but ive been reading alot on here about these bolt lifts and would like to see how much it improves. i know that stockade makes one and seeing how im not that handy and such i was wondering if this kit was a drop in kit? ther have been alot of people who say that they grided off the thickness of the kit off of the BAS but i dont want to screw up the threads on it. i was really wanting a drop in a guess. something that i could just take off the BAS drop it in and screw the BAS back in and be done. i know its always a good idea to familiarize yourself with your weapons and i will (youtube is my friend) i just wanted to keep it simple for now since this is my first savage (which i absolutely love). ive been around guns all my life and own many. ive never fired a rifle so many times that the bolt needed to be taken down and cleaned (other than my ar15). please be gentle as its my first post!

cwop
02-19-2012, 06:02 PM
there are many posts on this if you do a search. i have the bolt kit that dolomite was giving away and while it helped it doesnt work the way ss job does.

my advice for a start is while you are watching tv work that bolt at least 500 times 1k would be better that alone will help a lot. i have 2 target actions the one i bought used and had been fired a bunch is very smooth while the new one is rough.

bob

rammerjammer
02-19-2012, 06:39 PM
ive read most of the posts about it about 3 pages worth.i was just i guess kinda confused, im not sure its really worth it or not. ive worked it a good bit and will work some more. do i need to dry fire it then lift? what i been doin is just lifting it up almost to where it cocks then letting the bolt back down and repeating. do i need to do a full action then dry fire and repeat?

zap
02-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Rammer,
I dont think you should be dry fireing very much. I would think just up and down will be sufficient.I have 1800 rounds through a savage and it is noticably smoother than my other ones.

rammerjammer
02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
i dont like dry firing any weapon ever. i dunno just doesnt sit well with me. so ill just do like ive been doin then. thanks