PDA

View Full Version : Acutrigger advice

Pages : [1] 2

smoker
02-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Hoping to find some help in lowering the pull weight on my 112BVSS with acutrigger. Best I can get is 2.375 lbs. Doing long range work and really need to get to 1lb or less. I know there are many aftermarket options but am trying to save a buck here. Thanks, smoker

cwop
02-19-2012, 07:49 PM
ss has a good trigger replacement save your old one and replace it if you sell the rifle later.

bob

smoker
02-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks Bob, looking for something used.

82boy
02-19-2012, 11:55 PM
Hoping to find some help in lowering the pull weight on my 112BVSS with acutrigger. Best I can get is 2.375 lbs. Doing long range work and really need to get to 1lb or less.

Yup dont think it is going to happen, if you want a trigger lighter than 1 lbs you need to go the aftermarket route.

rusty815
02-20-2012, 01:52 AM
Look at rifle basix, I have the SAV-1 trigger at its lowest setting (around 1lbs) and it is the most crisp trigger I have ever used, I have it perfectly adjusted with no creep or overtravel and it is perfectly safe.

smoker
02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Kind of a shot in the dark. Dropped a bundle on the rifle and optics. Trigger sure shows up ~20X

thomae
02-20-2012, 09:56 AM
If you don't wish to spend the money on an aftermarket trigger, try pulling the trigger apart and then shim and/or polish (as appropriate) all the moving contact surfaces. You may not change the actual pull weight very much, but the "feel" of the trigger can be improved a great deal.
In a good trigger, pull weight is only one of several factors.

smoker
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Trigger is actually very nice...very smooth, little to no creep, breaks clean with no overtravel, couldn't ask for more, but like I said at 20 power as you apply pressure you can watch the crosshairs walk right off the bulls eye. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go for a rifle basix or similar. Thanks for your input. smoker

Jamie
02-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Pull the spring for the trigger and replace it with one from the target trigger version. Or just pull your current spring and cut very small increments off until it is light enough.

smoker
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Great Jamie!!! Thats what I was looking for. The target spring would be the best approach but I can cut 1/4 to 1/2 of a coil at a time....right? I have a trigger pull gauge so checking will be easy. Thanks much smoker

82boy
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
The target spring would be the best approach but I can cut 1/4 to 1/2 of a coil at a time....right?

Well there is a couple of small problems with this. First Savage will not sell springs, so the only place that I know of that sells them is SSS, and that is IF they have gotten any parts from Savage. Second the target accu-trigger uses the SAME silver spring as your varminter gun, (BVSS) so you will not gain a thing. The lower trigger weight comes from a special sear, that is identified by a small dimple under the flag. Savage will not sell anyone a target accu-trigger sear, including SSS.

Cutting coils can be fine, but watch how much you take there has been a few on this site that cut too much, and rendered themselfs with a useless gun. Remember I said savage will not sell springs? Guess what these foaks had to do, either buy a new spring from SSS, or ship their rifle back to Savage and pay them to put a new spring in.

smoker
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the advice 82boy. Well I guess if I take too any oils off then I'll have to go for a new trigger, which I was just about to do when I read Jamie's post. I'll let you know how I make out. smoker

smoker
02-20-2012, 01:28 PM
Down to 1.250 lbs....think I'll quit. Toke ~ 1.5 coils 1/4 coil at a time. Repeats +/- 1/8 lbs. I had it out of the stock to begin with .....having it shortened, so a perfect time to monkey with it. Thanks again to all. smoker

1jonzmith
02-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Down to 1.250 lbs....think I'll quit. Toke ~ 1.5 coils 1/4 coil at a time. Repeats +/- 1/8 lbs. I had it out of the stock to begin with .....having it shortened, so a perfect time to monkey with it. Thanks again to all. smoker

My target trigger came set to 1 pound 4 oz. It is all I want so far. I heard it will take a set all the way down to .5 pounds. Any body know if that is true?

Does anybody know what Savage would charge to install the "Target" sear for him?

Thanks,

John

82boy
02-22-2012, 01:31 AM
The target accu-trigger is advertise to go down to 6oz, but I have yet to see one that will go that low, and 2 function at weights under 1 lbs.
No Savage will not install the target accu-trigger on guns. They put the big warning on the target accu-trigger guns, for liability reasons, and they will not put one on anything that doesn't have their warning.

lrpv-shooter
02-22-2012, 01:13 PM
I got my factory triggers down to around six oz just playing with them, it can be done

1jonzmith
02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
The target accu-trigger is advertise to go down to 6oz, but I have yet to see one that will go that low, and 2 function at weights under 1 lbs.
No Savage will not install the target accu-trigger on guns. They put the big warning on the target accu-trigger guns, for liability reasons, and they will not put one on anything that doesn't have their warning.

Patrick,

Thank you for the info. You have been a lot of help to many of us.

John

1jonzmith
02-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I got my factory triggers down to around six oz just playing with them, it can be done

Shtr,

You experience seems more reasonable and is what I would expect. Taking no issue with Patrick, understand.

Can you share how you "played" with your triggers. I expect I would like to lower mine in the future.

I really like the "safety trigger" on my Savage. At first I thought it gimmicky but I have seen the light. The thing simply can't "bump" or "slam" fire. That has always been a source of heartburn with me when setting up a trigger.

Must be a really good reason why people with known good sense are removing their Accutriggers and replacing them with spendy aftermarket items.

Thanks,

John

stangfish
02-22-2012, 06:35 PM
I think someone should check their target spring with a magnet and some calipers. Post the material, wire diameter, inside, outside and overall length and the coils per inch. then someone could go to a place like this...

http://www.leespring.com/compression_spec.asp?springType=C&forWhat=Search
or
http://www.springsfast.com/compression-springs.php

and buy a minimum of like dimensions.

OAL can be fudged...preload for one that is close can be dealt with. To go lighter within a wire diameter and OD/ID specs just increase the coils per inch....heavier is fewer coils per inch.

Then all can have a light spring for around 5 bucks with shipping.

82boy
02-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I think someone should check their target spring with a magnet and some calipers. Post the material, wire diameter, inside, outside and overall length and the coils per inch.
Then all can have a light spring for around 5 bucks with shipping.

Well there is a couple of small problems with this.... Second the target accu-trigger uses the SAME silver spring as your varminter gun, (BVSS) so you will not gain a thing. The lower trigger weight comes from a special sear, that is identified by a small dimple under the flag.