PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Muzzle Jump?

Josh Smith
11-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Hello,

I've been playing with different types of rests for use with my heavy barreled Savage .22.

Even with a bipod and the heavy barrel, I still get a bit of jump, I would say about 1/4" to 1/2" at 50 yards.

I'd like to eliminate this.

The way I shoot is to let the front support (sandbag, bipod, etc) do the front supporting and use either a sock, fist or nothing in the rear.

Any which way, it jumps a bit.

I'm not a fan of porting or compensating.

I've thought about piling sandbags onto the front, but am trying to figure out how to do this without touching the barrel.

I could use help from benchrest shooters here.

Thanks,

Josh <><

82boy
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
The rest set up you have just is not the best, I would get a rear bag, it will make a big difference. Protektor makes some nice bags, and if you have it shipped to a FFL they eat the shipping. http://www.protektormodel.com/

Anytime you shoot off of a bi-pod you need something under it to absorb the shock, like cardboard, carpet, or something like that. What happens is the force goes right don&#39;t the legs and into the concrete and cause the jump. MR F. uses a hard piece of foam rubber and it works great for him. Putting something under the bi-pod dampens the force coming down the legs, but it also allows the gun to recoil back, giving the feet of the rest something to slide on.

Josh Smith
11-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Hello,

Below is the definition of the problem, better than I could word it. What I need to figure out is the solution, if there is one...

when not set up with proper NPA even the small recoil of the .22 will make the cross-hairs &#39;jump&#39; off of the poa. (for me it is up and to the right) Adjusting your position and obtaining a good solid npa position eliminates this.
I can even see the cross-hairs jump when dry-firing a centerfire if a solid npa position is not employed.

THIS!!!!!

Thank you. This is what I&#39;ve been trying to get at.

Here&#39;s the deal: I want a cone in which I can be accurate - say 15 degrees on either side. I have no problem holding at NPoA when set up in controlled conditions - but if a squirrel were to go running and I should need to shift out of NPoA, well, I tend to shoot up and right a bit. I do not like this at all.

Maybe I&#39;m trying to achieve something that cannot be done. But I&#39;d like to think that, with work, I can at least improve upon it.

In other words, I need to be able to take a shot from a less-than-optimum body position if I don&#39;t have the time or room to move to NPoA.

Thanks!

Josh <><

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Bad Water Bill
11-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I have shot with Pat. WOW Pay careful attention to what he says. See the 2008 Indiana Shoot out for pictures of what he and his friends can do.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,14300.45.html
These were 1K yard shots. Scroll to the bottom and you will see what I mean

If you live in the area join us next year.