PDA

View Full Version : How often to clean barrel?

biggun
02-17-2012, 09:35 PM
My dad has a 112 6.5x284 and has been cleaning the barrel every 20 or 30 rds,some days it shoots great some days so so with same loads.Went to the range today and fired 1 fouler shot down the barrel then started to shoot his pet load.The first two shots where 1 1/2 inches apart so he moved on to the next load it was 3/4.Then he shot a couple 1/2 groups so he went back to his pet load and it put 4 into .443.So how often u clean,and how many foul shots does it take before your groups return to normal. ???

jonbearman
02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
I have a couple rifles that take about 10-15 rounds sometimes depending how clean I got the barrel.I wouldnt clean the heck out of it,alot of guys will shoot until the groups go to heck,then do a heavy cleaning job.

psharon97
02-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I clean when my groups start to open up.

DanSavage
02-18-2012, 12:35 AM
My barrels don't seem to mind being clean, usually 2 shots to group good but in my experience some loads are capable of being dead nuts from a clean cold bore.
This is when I clean.

1 Changing powder or bullets.
2 If I'm not going to shoot the rifle for more than 2 months time.
3 When the rifle has been exposed to very damp conditions.
4 After about 100 rounds.

ellobo
02-18-2012, 12:57 AM
As the guys say, dont clean until the groups go sour. But, on a new barrel a simple check for copper fouling should be made once so often by passing a copper cleaner patch down the bore to see if the barrel is coppering up. New Savage barrels will copper up fairly often until smoothed out by shooting them smooth or lapping the barrel.

El Lobo

pdog06
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I clean whenever my groups start to open up, or after a range session when Im not gonna shoot for a while. When Im prarie doggin I will sometimes clean while the barrel is cooling or, or a just grab another gun then clean them all at the end of the day...LOL