PDA

View Full Version : Son-in-law's hog

Pulp
11-27-2009, 11:48 PM
He was walking along a sharp bend in a creek, hog came at him from across the creek. He shot it from about 7 yards. Mossberg .270, Federal cartridge with 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BlackPowderPulp/Mattandhog.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/BlackPowderPulp/Tush.jpg

I'd guess the hog at close to 200lbs. It was all we could do to drag him out of the creek.

GUNFANATIC
12-09-2009, 05:06 PM
It came at him? You mean it charged him? :o

Blue Avenger
12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
It came at him? You mean it charged him? :o

that don't surprise me any. They have little fear of man and can be very aggressive. there are some areas in the country they have taken over, destroyed crop land by routing it up and they proliferate as fast as rats. being mainly nocturnal it is hard to estimate the size of a herd. they have been documented holding open a spring gate trap to let out there captured comrades escape.

GUNFANATIC
12-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I always hear about how agressive they are, but I've never had that experience. Tons of hogs here in south Tx, but they seem to be more timid than what I hear people tell. Maybe their difference in attitude has to do with location, or maybe it's because they're hunted hard here. I dunno. :-\

Pulp
12-13-2009, 01:20 AM
It walked toward him, tail up, head low and grunting. Wasn't a classic charge, just enough to make son-in-law nervous. This is the first hog I've seen on my land, and I've been hunting it for many years. A feller with land close to ours has seen a few this year.

tammons
12-13-2009, 02:12 AM
You will see more.
Wait about 3-4 years, you will have them in droves.

My dads next door neighbor has a relative who went after a big one in an area I will not hunt in on the ground.

It was about a 500 lb'r with 4"-5" tusks. I went back in there once, and it was basically 4"-5" pines about 6' apart on the edge of a swamp. Way too thick. I could only see about 20 feet. It was so thick I shouldered my rifle and got out my 44 magnum.

At any rate this fellow went into this mess with his shotgun and the giant hog charged. He dropped his shotgun and went up a tree. It kept him up there for about 2 hours.

Hogs cant see worth a damn. The one on your land may have been just doing its thing.