PDA

View Full Version : New Axis 22-250!

dozer02
02-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Hello folks, new to this forum and just wanted to post about my "in transit" new stainless Savage Axis 22-250 I just won on gunbroker. I got the rifle only version (no scope package) so I'd like to get some new glass for it and maybe a new stock in the near future. I'm leaning toward a Leoupold (cost's more than the gun!) or possibly Nikon or Burris. I am strongly of the belief that the gun will only be as accurate as the scope will allow, so that's no place to cheap-out. I have a Weatherby 257 with a Zeiss 3x12 and the clarity/light gathering is awesome but I don't have another $650.00 to spend on a Zeiss for this Axis so the scope budget will be limited to around $300. I've heard great things about Savage accuracy out-of-the-box for the last 30 years. This is my first centerfire Savage (I have 2 Savage rimfire's) and I'm hoping to soon get another Savage hunter model in 338 Rem. I have many rifles but until now I never thought of Savage as being an equal to Sako or Weatherby but their group sizes speak loudly! When I was a kid, Savage was known to be a "mediocre at best" rifle. It would appear that they've come a long way since! I can't wait to get this new entry level rifle and put it through it's paces. I already ordered a set of Redding dies for it and have 5 boxes of assorted brands of ammo coming from Cabelas. I'll eventually be "varminting" with it here in Ct. but our land doesn't offer up many clear shots beyond the 150 yard mark. I just always wanted a .22-250 because of the impressive speeds and "flat characteristics". I'll likely be plinking long range squirrels with it because of the rarity of coyotes and marmuts in this area. I guess the question is, would it be worth it to put a fancy stock on this Axis or will the standard stock be adequate? I like the looks of them fancy thumbhole aftermarket laminated stocks but would that be just too much for this entry level plinker?

bootsmcguire
02-17-2012, 02:03 AM
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but I am unaware of anybody who is making an aftermarket stock for the Axis. The Axis is an accurate gun right out of the box and for what it is, its better than all the other entry level guns on the market made by other brand. You will enjoy it.

You mentioned in the future you plan to get a 338 Rem. in a Savage. I have to assume that you mean a 338 Remington Ultra Mag as that is the only 338 Rem. that I am aware of. I do not believe that Savage still makes the 338 RUM, but you can always build one.

Good luck and enjoy your new purchase.

dozer02
02-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Sorry about that! It was the .338 Win not the .338 Rem that I was referring to, but that won't be for a while now that I found a Leoupold glass for the .22-250, which still hasn't arrived! >:(

bootsmcguire
02-17-2012, 11:20 PM
No its cool, I just didn't want you to be dreaming of a factory gun that they don't make anymore. I too am looking at a 338 Win or possibly a 375 Ruger. Not sure at this point, mostly dreaming I guess since I really don't "need" either one, but since neither one is in stores yet I havve some time to dream.

dozer02
02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Hey bootsmcguire, I have no experience with the Axis model Savage,with that said, I did a little research on the construction and it seems that Savage did their homework with the fit-up of the action/stock so I'm guessing it'll be fine for now, I'll just sit back and wait for a someone to come out with a nice thumbhole laminate for this model. I'll just keep my fingers crossed! The Leoupold scope I'm getting for it cost's more than the rifle! I just need to know if the Axis comes with a base or just a couple screws in the drilled & tapped mount holes. I have had some difficulty finding a base in silver or stainless but if it does come with one then I'll be a happy camper! I just like to have everything ready for the arrival of the rifle which is taking a snails pace via fed-x ground, getting ants-in-the pants waiting for this one. The Squirrels are running rampant and need to be cured of their erratic behavior! I'd like to get a couple of 200+ yd shots on this army of fluffy tailed tree rats! (lol) I'm now in search of the perfect sling for it and I think after that I'll be all set. The Savage makes mention of an Alaskan model chambered in .338 Win which would seem like a nice addition to my newest Cannon safe. My 24 gun is full but I still have 6 slots to fill in my latest 42 gun Cannon, as good a reason as I can think of to aquire a few more long guns. (can't have empty slots in the safe now, can we?) I do "need" a .338 just in case my father invites me on his next Alaskan fly-in. My 7mm Mag simply won't do! (The wife is unaware of my Model 70 .338 so I think I can get away with the purchase) (lol)

farmer44mag
02-19-2012, 10:33 AM
DNZ makes their 1-piece Gamereaper mount in silver but i beleive it only comes in medium hieght for the Axis. But the medium height is nice for extra bolt clearance if you like to run the bolt fast. I have the low mounts on my .223 and get some rub on the eyepeice from the bolt handle. You can check out my .30-06 thread to see the medium mounts and my .223 thread to see the low mounts.

znviper6
02-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Dnz makes both black and silver in low, med, and high.
http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_89

Krakkon
02-19-2012, 01:29 PM
A little trigger work on that axis and a load of 39 grains of Varget behind a 40 grain vmax will get you 4100 fps and be nice and accurate...

dozer02
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
A little trigger work huh? Are there any threads or instructional diagrams on the subject? I'm not intimidated by doing trigger mods but at the same time I don't want to mess it up either. I can certainly give that load a try though! Still waiting on the rifle, Fed-X ground moves at a snails pace!

Krakkon
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
There are details on this site and few others with a quick Google search on how to lighten them up a bit..