PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes a chuckle is the only medicine

mstarling
02-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Rats ... took the ejector out of the bolt so I could reinstall the newly threaded bbl. Spring would not come out, so I didn't worry about it.

Went to put the ejector back in ... and guess what ... no spring.

Have looked all over the work area with a bright LED light and no luck. So is time to order one.

Two questions:

1) Is it OK to test fire the rifle without an ejector understanding that will have be single shot? and

2) Will order an ejector and a couple of springs from Brownell's. What other parts does it make sense to have as spares?

<chuckle> There ... I feel better ... not ;D

ellobo
02-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Been there, done that. Giggle. I often thought that a smaller dia tennon on the bottom of the ejector that fits into a few turns of the spring would be helpfull. I havnt looked at the dimensions to see if it is possible while I had the ejector system apart. I may do that sometime. It may require a slightly longer spring, say 2 turns. Any feedback on that idea would be appreciated.
El Lobo

fgw_in_fla
02-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I've never had a problem firing my rifles without an ejector. The only problem I had was fishing the spent case out on occasion.

Otherwise, I don't see it affecting it's operation.

jo191145
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Most of my ejectors have been removed purposefully on my target guns.
Why would I want my brass flung to the ground? I want to use that stuff again not throw it away. :D

mstarling
02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys!

Did the live tests today. Fired the threaded bbl with reduced cast bullet loads first. No problem with the headspace. Tickles me.

Then checked some full power jacketed handloads for headspace ... no problem! No problem with bullet stabilization at 20 yards.

Then checked the can for concentricity and live fired with the can. Worked GREAT!!!! Am tickled.

The guy who threads bbls for me is a cracker jack machinist who is fast and prices very reasonably. Turn around was two weeks door to door. He threaded the bbl and roughly timed a brake/adapter for me. He also made a stainless steel thread protector for me. Charged $50 including return shipping.

Is the 4th or 5th bbl he has done for me and they have all been perfect!