PDA

View Full Version : Acrion screw torque matters

Pages : 1 [2]

hound53
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
It isn't a theory, it is a fact. Rimfire competitors, both benchrest and Olympic 3 position, have been using for years. Works on $3.5K rimfires or 350 dollar sporters equally well. Does not matter what the action, how many screws, stock etc.

Want to have some more fun with barrel harmonics? Take 2 orings that will fit tightly on your barrel a few inchs from the end and some small strong magnets. Put the orings just far enough apart to allow the magnets to fit between them then vary the number and position of the magnets with different groups of the same ammo. Works best with a bull barrel of course. Acts just like a rimfire barrel tuner.

http://www.varmintal.com/a22lr.htm

Dennis
02-21-2012, 05:27 AM
I tightnen my front bolt to 40, then the bottom two @ 30.

I don't think I have an accuracy problem, but maybe one day I might play around with torque'n the bolts.

Many state it's not necessary, look at your custom actions, there are no procedures like this, makes you wonder!

1jonzmith
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Many state it's not necessary, look at your custom actions, there are no procedures like this, makes you wonder!

Isn't this "the experts speaking"? Who could spend more money and time and have more at stake than these guys? Has anyone ever sought out the opinion of Professional rifle builders on action screw tightening tuning? I swear to you I am open on this topic and I will revisit the issue and test every rifle I have that is bedded. And I will report my results later in the summer.

Thanks

1jonzmith
02-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Thank you bsek and 82. Thanks a bunch. Got any references on that conclusion?
John

What references do you need? I can say I have tried it done it, and talk to other that have done the same and came up to the same conclusion. Trust me, if it made a diference I would do it. Why dont you ask Sharpshooter (Fred at SSS) about it, and see what his answer is.

Don't misread me. I wasn't "demanding" anything. I already stated yours is the inside track and thanked you. I thought you might have read something that referenced testing that supported your findings. Actually, I don't need a reference to add weight to your opinion on anything to respect it as you have shown yourself to be a "stand alone"(credible) guy..at least to me.

Your sending me to Fred at SSS is a cruel hoax. Fred is so busy he can't answer the phone...usually, and we all know that. I doubt he would even entertain using his valuable time answering my Rookie questions and I take nothing away from him in voicing that opinion. A question to this forum is usually enuf to gather opinions and find supporting data from professional/"well experienced" sources with the time to offer them. But thanks for the suggestion, on the surface of it.

Sincerely,

John

1jonzmith
02-26-2012, 03:41 PM
1JonZmith, in answer to your question, on your Swedes your rear screw goes into the tang.Same on Remington and most other Mauser type actions. In a Savage the rear action screw goes into the receiver body not the tang. If the tang on a Savage is resting on the stock and you tighten the body screws you would be putting a bending moment on the receiver at the tang which would put a bending stress at the forward edge of the tang. Not a good thing. That is why the tang should be free floated.
El Lobo

Sounds good to me.

Thanks,
John

1jonzmith
02-26-2012, 04:08 PM
http://www.varmintal.com/a22lr.htm

This, Varmental, is superb link and loaded with tons of info that will cross pollinate to center fire.

That link also has a link to Mini Lathe. Want all the info on what your Smith is doing and how and why? Superb read. IMHO.

Hound,

Thank you for those informative links. I had rejected the Harbor Freight Mini Lathe mostly because I handled on on display. As the author says :the HF ML is precision in name only. Really a sloppy piece of machinery and I ain't nobodies idea of qualified. I learned that ALL the shortcomings can be corrected with some work and that you can come out the other end with a truly useful Precision mini lathe that all the kids will envy.

John

k80skeet
02-26-2012, 04:28 PM
In the Savage manual I recieved with my model 16FCSS it says torgue both screws front and rear to 45 inch pounds.