PDA

View Full Version : Want to build a 6.8 Rem?

taylorce1
11-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Found a killer deal on a unturned blank in .270, problem is its only 21" long. This doesn't allow for a decent .270 Win as I'll be looking in the neighborhood of 18-19" finished length of the barrel. My problem is the rim diameter, am I stuck using only a Rem or Ruger action for this rifle? Or can I open up a .223 bolt face enough in Savage to feed this cartridge? Anyone running a 6.8 and how did you get it to work?

pa hog
11-27-2009, 11:31 PM
I've seen them done on Savage action's, I think they do open up the .223 bolthead and I think S.S.S. will be able to hook you up. Maybe Sinman too.

10fp
11-28-2009, 01:51 AM
whats the twist rate on this blank, you should have 1-11 or 12 for the current standards if you want to run higher pressure ammo, also make sure you have it chambered with either the spc II chamber or the dmr chamber. sss should be able to open up a bolt head for you no problem.

taylorce1
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
whats the twist rate on this blank, you should have 1-11 or 12 for the current standards if you want to run higher pressure ammo, also make sure you have it chambered with either the spc II chamber or the dmr chamber. sss should be able to open up a bolt head for you no problem.

The barrel is a 1.25" unturned blank 1-11 twist the other reason besides its length that made me think 6.8 Rem. I was looking for a .257 barrel to make a .250 Savage when I came across this one and my first thought was .270 Titus but I figured that the barrel would finish to short even for that case capacity. I haven't been one to follow the 6.8 so I'm unfamiliar with the SPC II and DMR chamber. Thanks for the info I'll check them out.