PDA

View Full Version : I need some help.

bluealtered
02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
The problem i have is, or i thought would be pretty simple to fix. So far i am dead wrong about it being simple. This rifle is a model 16 fhsak which happens to be a bottom bolt release hinged floor plate model. It came from one of our members and is a great rifle, i simply want to make it a dbm. This is easy right? Well not so far, this model has a dbm floor plate that measures 0.155 thick on the mounting tab that goes under the front mounting tab of the trigger guard. Most floor plate tabs measure 0.355 there, needless to say it won't work.

So, on to the chase. I have a few of the wrong floor plates sitting here and called savage to see what i needed and just order it. On the first call i get a person that doesn't have the answer but will find out and call me right back, a week later and still no call back. So i call again and explain the problem, the second person i speak with isn't in a good mood and tells me i don't know what i'm taking about, i need this and this. I explain that the floor plate for this model is different and am again told i don't know what i'm taking about, do i want these parts or not?

Needless to say they are the wrong parts and now i'm out the money to send them back and still don't have what i need to make what should be a simple change, or even if the part i'm trying to find is out there.

I'm guessing that i'm not the only one to incounter this problem and wonder what you did. Thanks, blue

Kinetik1
02-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I've had/seen many DBM and hinged floor plate models. Some have had the thicker floor plate, while others have had a bushing/washer in between the trigger guard and floor plate. You could find the right size washer and stack them to get the right size.

pdog06
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
If I would you I would call savage back and demand to speak to Effie. If you tell what has happened i am sure she will make it right with you, and probably know the exact parts you need as well.

rjtfroggy
02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm with Pdog on this.
Try this number 1-800-370-0708 ext.6, this should get you to Effie or at least it used to.

cqh1111
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
I have a hinged floor plate model (but it is not a bottom bolt release, it's the older version with the bolt release on the top) and it has a washer between the trigger guard and the floor plate frame. The washer was included with the factory rifle. The washer is .165" thick and the floor plate frame is .155" thick at the tab (same as yours). I think if you add a washer, it would solve your problem. Here are a couple photos to show the washer.

Cody

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/cqh1111/hf.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/cqh1111/hf-1.jpg
http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g431/cqh1111/hf-2.jpg

bluealtered
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, i just talked to customer service again and was told to grind out the rifle frame so the new frame metal would fit, i'll save that as a last resort. I haven't been able to call Effie yet but thats next.

cqh1111, yep the tab is the same as mine but the front of the trigger guard on mine, (thats where the release button is) is as thick as the rear of your trigger guard. However the pics you posted help alot for the questions i had about the frame/washer/trigger guard i had seen before. I'm sure open to more thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks guys, blue.

bluealtered
02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok, i just got off the phone with Effie. And it turns out she was the lady i talked to before that was having a bad day. It was both a monday and she had a bad cold, double whammy!
She's feeling better and it only took a minute to straighen out the mix up. The part number to make this change is #107325 for the correct bottom frame, (ss). So i'll send that back and i'll have the right part in a week or two. Thanks for the help guys.

P.S. i'll have a standard black metal trigger guard and dbm bottom metal and a new s.s. hinged floor plate bottom metal in the classifieds at that time if anybody needs them. Thanks, blue.