PDA

View Full Version : Stock Options for Stevens 200 (LA Center Fed Blind Mag)

capreppy
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Looking for stock options for Stevens 200 (LA Center Fed Blind Mag). Planning to rebarrel with a ER Shaw Varmint Countrour barrel.

The Long Action Center Fed seems to be the issue. Are there any inexpensive options out there? What about take-off stocks from other Savage models?

rjtfroggy
02-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Boyd's laminate around $100. Check the sponsor page. They do make some with varmint channel other wise you will need to open up, also no pillars need to install your own(easy).
Stockey's also a sponsor more expensive still need pillars but tey are a little heavier built.
I use both for bench guns Stocky's for hunting Boyds.

darkker
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Boyds, or a B&C Duramax, same price.

capreppy
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Boyds, or a B&C Duramax, same price.

The B&C Duramax (stated in the fine print) will NOT work with a Savage LA with a Center Fed Blind Mag. It'll work with the older stagger fed as will the Choates stocks.

For those with the Boyd's, how much material needed to be removed to accept a Savage Varmint Countour barrel?

rv7pilot
02-15-2012, 12:54 AM
I used a Choate Tactical. You have to fit the magazine in the stock. I decided to use CDI Precision with AI 300 WM magazines for my 6.5-284 Norma.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,42958.msg296297.html#msg296297

capreppy
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I used a Choate Tactical. You have to fit the magazine in the stock. I decided to use CDI Precision with AI 300 WM magazines for my 6.5-284 Norma.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,42958.msg296297.html#msg296297

I saw your thread and was very impressed with the work. I need to do this build in phases (due to cost) and getting CDI bottom metal is on m road map, but noth something I can get right away. Maybe a few months from now.

rv7pilot
02-16-2012, 01:04 AM
I saw your thread and was very impressed with the work. I need to do this build in phases (due to cost) and getting CDI bottom metal is on m road map, but noth something I can get right away. Maybe a few months from now.
[/quote]

You can use the center feed magazine, you just need to do some minor fitting to get the center feed magazine to stay put in the stock. Pretty easy to do.

capreppy
02-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Do you know if anyone has ever done a write up on it? I'd love to be able to use this stock. My friend and I would probably be able to figure it out, but obviously lots easier if someone has done a write up on it to make the trial and error a little easier.

rv7pilot
02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Do you know if anyone has ever done a write up on it? I'd love to be able to use this stock. My friend and I would probably be able to figure it out, but obviously lots easier if someone has done a write up on it to make the trial and error a little easier.

I remember doing a lot of searches and not coming up with much. I just finally took the plunge and bought it. Stuck the magazine in the hole and placed the action on top. It's nothing. For you, since you're planning to upgrade to the CDI and a DBM system, I would not glass or epoxy the blind magazine in place. I'm lazy and I would probably just wrap it in duct tape for temporary purposes. It's really that simple.

Here's a link I turned up.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2402844

capreppy
02-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the link.

I just got an email for a possibility of some sidework (I'm a consultant, but occassionally get called up to do work for old clients that aren't willing to pay top dollar for a firm, but are willing to pay a little less for someone that knows their system and can do it quickly). If I get it, then I'll skip this and go straight to a CDI bottom metal. Something that has also caught my eye is an XLR setup (http://www.xlrindustries.com/evolution.html).

I figure CDI bottom metal is $200 + $60 for inletting of a stock. That is $260 plus the stock itself ($200 assuming I go with a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock). I'm at $460 already. For just a little more (well...$260 more), I can get a base XLR setup which I think is pretty sweet looking. It would complement my AR very nicely. I would love an AICS, but until they make one setup for a Savage action, this might get me pretty close.

thejimmster
02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
This is what I did with a B&C Duramaxx with Stevens 200 LA:

I used Loc-tite super glue gel to attach L-clip to centerfeed mag. Then I shimmed the mag in place with wide popsickle sticks (not the "skinnier style sticks") on all sides (front, back, right & left). It takes a few times to get it lined up to feed cartridges properly, but it works. You may have to put popsickle sticks in the bottom of the mag well on the stock to raise the mag to the correct height.

Hope this helps.

capreppy
02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Jimster,

Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough. The consulting gig fell through so I definitely have to go some route that requires a little fixing till I can get a CDI bottom metal solution in place.