PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag on a model 12?

cookjp
02-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Ok I have a left hand model 12 that I am running as a switch barrel and I have a 300 winmag barrel that I would like to add to the fray but am having a hard time finding the wsm left hand push feed bolt head and spring assembly that I was told that I needed. Any one know where I can get those or is there some other way to do this. thanks for all the help

Jason

Tried SSS but havent gotten through yet.

stangfish
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
You are trying to put a 300 win mag in a short action, Or you are trying to put a 300 WSM in a short action? The WSM is tight, the win mag wont fit. I hear savage or SSS may have the bolt head?

Look at the COAL or overall length of the cartridge you are after, Now check the length of the inside of your magazine. Single feed is an option with the WSM, the WSSMs will fit easily I like the OSSM.

efm77
02-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Actually the WSM will fit if you want a repeater. You would simply have to change the magazine box to a WSM box and change to a magnum bolt head. The WSM's are built on short actions and were designed to fit short actions. That's the whole point of their existance. Now the 300 win mag would work as a single shot only and you would have to remove the bolt to eject a live round.

handirifle
02-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Ok I have a left hand model 12 that I am running as a switch barrel and I have a 300 winmag barrel that I would like to add to the fray but am having a hard time finding the wsm left hand push feed bolt head and spring assembly that I was told that I needed. Any one know where I can get those or is there some other way to do this. thanks for all the help

Jason

Tried SSS but havent gotten through yet.

Try Midwayusa or Brownells. Either of them carry those parts, just a matter of seeing if they are in stock when you want them.

cookjp
02-14-2012, 06:57 PM
It will be set up as a single shot for target shooting not as a repeater, I have looked on midway and didnt see the parts but I may have over looked them. Is this the right way to make that configuration? A gentleman told me that you could get a long action mag bolt head and have the stem shortened but I would think that you would have to adjust the firing pin everytime you switched back to a short action round.

Jason