PDA

View Full Version : Sightron sIII vs. Leupold VX3, mark 4 here I come.

Pages : 1 [2]

jhelmuth
02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I did. We were talking about their rifle scopes - not spotting scopes (which I do not know about and was not part of this thread).

If you have facts regarding Leupold using Chinese glass why do you not reveal them? Even if we assume you are correct, Leupold does have exacting specifications and tests their optics for meeting those standards and specifications (I've seen it). We can mince words on locations of factories (a Japanese company say manufacturing in Korea as an example - Korean, or Japanese?), but at the core these are very high standards for their glass in Mark 4s, VX-IIIs, etc. Obviously their lower line scopes will not use glass that has the same specifications as the high lines will - DUH.

I'm a very reasonable man. If you show me where I'm wrong, I'm very happy to correct it. Unitl then, it's all just talk.

helotaxi
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Just like you stating that they don't use Chinese glass is all just talk. May come from a Japanese company outsourcing to China, but it's still Chinese. How is that any different than a US company doing the same. It's still a Chinese plant with Chinese workers. I don't personally have a problem with it, but some do. I think that Leupold in particular is intentionally vague with regard to the source of their glass. This is what they say: "Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian." You assume that it comes from Japan. They never state that or really even imply it. If the Asian sources were all from Japan, why wouldn't they simply state that? Probably becaues they aren't.

They state that their lenses are "procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards". What does that really mean? Are they going to come out and say that their glass is crap? Everyone says they have the best quality glass, but for the money, IMHO, Leupold just doesn't deliver. The lenses are produced to their specs and according to their designs. From what I've seen there are better designs out there coming from companies that are charging a premium for their name. Those companies also flat out state where their optics are produced.

It's no secret that there really is no US optics industry and there really never has been. As such I don't have an issue with optics produced abroad, but I do have an issue with companies that aren't completely forthright about where their products come from.

MatthewUSMC8791
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
For the peop;le looking for who makes whose lenses...

if the lenses come from Japan, most likely they are made by a company call LIGHT OPTIC WORKS..

If is not, it made in the pacific RIM... other words.. JUNK....
thailand, etc.

Europe is as good as Japan..

But remember they make to the owners spec..

FYI... Meotra makes alot of stuff for ALOT OF COMPANIES... all of cabelas gear comes from them...

just fyi

jhelmuth
02-22-2012, 03:13 AM
It's not my job to defned Leupold or any other company. I'm OK with folks who want to use forums like this to drag whomever they want into the mud. Nevermind the fact that Leupold has terrific Optical Engineers and a Labortory to support them in the design and testing of some really great Optics so the shooting community can perform their best. Much less a long history of a family business that has built and maintained a terrific reputation for great optics (which they have never manufactured) Not that Leupold is the best - far from it. There are some really fine optics out there and I don't think Leupold can class themselves into say Nightforce, or USO, S&B, etc. But - then again - that was not what Leupold was trying to achieve either. My take away is that Leupold wants to provide great optics and a wide range of them at various price points so that alot of folks who enjoy shooting sports can have a scope that fits their needs. I am one of those people (as I can't afford the Nightforce quite yet - nor some of the very best in optics that are available). As my folks once taught me when I was a kid, people can say what they want to - but saying it doesn't change the truth (and yes... that works both ways). You can see it how you want to. I think there are more than enough people - consumers and professionals - who have a rather fine opinion on Leupold. I think their product speaks for itself and so does their service and warranty. They are not for everyone (aparently).

Anyway... no big deal. Go ahead and move on with your campagin. I'm certainly going to move on and go enjoy my time better with some shootin'

All the best,

Jim

sheikss
02-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Well got my scope tonight, everything looks good. It was dark by the time I got it, tomorrow I will mess with it. The burris extreme rings in medium are to high so I got some lows on the way. I really like the tmr reticle, it isn't cluttered like the mildot seemed.