PDA

View Full Version : Rethreaded Barrels

jeepmann1
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
Can a Remington 700 barrel be re-threaded to fit a small shank Savage action?

nsaqam
02-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Only if there is enough shank to machine a new tenon after the original tenon is cut off.

This would of course mean a complete rechambering.

bsekf
02-12-2012, 10:48 AM
What is the dimension that you need to thread a barrel for a Savage small shank? I am looking for the length and diameter.

Bill

Blue Avenger
02-12-2012, 11:05 AM
done a couple, but they were Hart and Douglas, making it worth the expense.

stangfish
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
What is the dimension that you need to thread a barrel for a Savage small shank? I am looking for the length and diameter.

Bill

1.050-20TPI
1.350 length of threads.

This is with the thread major diameter continuing beyond the threads. If you are doing a barrel nut delete you woud need to calculate in the thickness of your recoil lug and the depth the barrel needs to be threaded into the reciever. I am thinking a depth mic would be useful but the dificulty is allowing for the torque of the barrel and the lost thounsandths here and there. I have always thought of having the lug ground to make the headspace correct would be the easiest for the home gunsmith. What...? I am rambling again?

geargrinder
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I've done a bunch.

It's easy to cut the remington tennon off and turn and thread the shoulder down to fit a Savage small shank.

Remington factory barrels are tougher to get nice threads. I suspect it is due to the hammer forging. I also don't feel that the work done on a factory Rem barrel is worth the time since you still end up with a factory barrel.

I've also done a few custom barrels that have turned out very good. I've done Hart, Krieger, Douglas, and a couple Shilen. I picked most of them up from shot out benchrest rigs.

nsaqam
02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Like I said, if there's enough shank to cut a new tenon a 700 barrel will work.

My favorite Remington contours don't have enough shank but then I prefer sporter or lighter contour barrels over the truck axles.

The only savings gleaned from using a used 700 barrel is the difference in price of a new barrel over what you pay for the used one.
You still have all the same machining to do to a used barrel as you would a new one and you still have a used barrel.

False economy unless the used barrels are nearly free IMO.