PDA

View Full Version : savage 111

creditdoc35
02-11-2012, 11:06 PM

I am new to this forum and had a question, I am looking at a savage 111 in a 243,it has a wood stock no accutrigger. The guy said the serial number is f897740.I have searched some and cant find any information on one with a wood stock.it has a simmons scope.Was this a package deal a few years ago?Is that a correct serial number? I hear nothing but good about a savage, i am just looking for input about this gun.I know it doest have an accutrigger.Any help would be great.

MaDa
02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
A few people here prefer the earlier non accutrigger for it's ease in adjusting. ( a little search would probably show how easy. They are called a three screw trigger. )

I have no idea about the scope or serial number.

Good luck and enjoy the site. Welcome.

ellobo
02-12-2012, 02:12 AM
If it has a Simmons scope it probably a package rifle. It probably has a flat back reciever. I assume it has the correct rear scope mount if it is 2 pc. or one pc. Otherwise it probably is a good rifle. Just do the usual checks. like, what does the bore look like? Any rust? I have purchased two just like that and paid about $200 each. I assume you are buying this sight unseen so get a return guarantee if you can. If you buy it check for copper buildup. Those older rifles were probably used by someone who never heard of copper buildup. If it was his hunting rifle it may not have had a lot of rounds through it. I know a lot of guys who have one rifle for hunting, its over 20 yrs old and they still have the original box of ammo.

El Lobo.

creditdoc35
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
I got some pics, and i have found out is is a savage 110, is that much different than the 111?

Sammichman
02-12-2012, 11:08 PM
You can get a Wood Stock Drop in stock from Boyds,,allmost a perfect fit ,,you need to get longer hex bolts to install the stock ,,also get rid of the plastic trigger guard all available from savage,,there is some adjustment you can do to the factory trigger,,I got mine down to a touch over 3LBs ,It,s a great basic rifle enjoy it

MaDa
02-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I got some pics, and i have found out is is a savage 110, is that much different than the 111?

VVVVVV this is wrong VVVVV

110 is a short action.
111 is a long action.

Should be something more like this
2 digit model numbers are short action
3 digit model numbers are long actions

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,10750.0.html

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3883.0.html

rjtfroggy
02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Actually they are both long actions, just chambered for a short action caliber (Savages old way of doing things).
Difference between a 110 and a 111 is usually just cosmetic, blued for one, flat black for the other.

Ima Savage
02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
:) New Guy here also. I'm surprised my user name wasn't already taken! ;D (Funny??? or just to me?) :-\
TOPIC-- "cant find any information on one with a wood stock.it has a simmons scope.Was this a package deal a few years ago?"
I was wondering the same question.
"My 110-.270cal. has a synthetic stock(rubberized and stiff, Savage Cheiftain logo butt-cap), Bushnell 3.5-10x40 Scope, and Non-AccuTrigger style, with blued metal- no front sight. But I can't find this particular one, either. All that I see is Wood stocked 110's.(which I would MUCH prefer over the synthetic stocks for the aesthetics. I love beautiful wood grained stocks.)
I will be watching to see if info pops up about better ways of I.D.'ing these 110's, also. My serial # starts with 990xx.
I feel Very confident that MY Savage might actually be THE ONE, that much coveted "Magic Rifle" that I've heard so many rumors about about!
Please, Please,Please, let it be so, so that I may begin my quest of annihilating those creepy, dangerous looking paper targets that are staring at me.
I paid $225 for mine and it is nice and clean, and shows no noticeable wear on the stock or the metal.
I am well pleased!
Any Info on these would be great! Thanks! Imaheeza Yurrah Savage

Blue Avenger
02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
110 is a short action.
111 is a long action.

since when?

ellobo
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
If it shoots a short action cartridge like .308, .243 etc. and the barrel says 110 Then it is an early attempt at making a short action from a long action. If it has an action screw mounting distance of 5.02 it is the earliest version, if 4.522 it is the next generation and it is still a 110 long action. Converting either one to a long action cartridge is a PITA.

El Lobo

seanhagerty
02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I guess I'll have to tell my 110 to stop being to long!!

Stu
02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I guess I'll have to tell my 110 to stop being to long!!
;D

ellobo
02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, if your 110 is along action MADE to shoot short action cartridges by the factory and that is how your are using it, bless you. But, if you want to convert it to shoot long action cartridges, good luck. I converted two of them and I would never do it again. Too many rifles shooting long action cartridges for sale cheap to deliberatly or ignorantly buy another of those old short/long action rifles. Both my buys were from ignorance.
El Loo

MaDa
02-19-2012, 12:41 AM
110 is a short action.
111 is a long action.

since when?

I guess I am wrong then eh? Was a stab in the dark...
Definitely forgot about the older ones that were both LA's. Have only heard of those, never seen one.

bajabill
02-19-2012, 11:54 AM
About how long ago were these short calibers chambered in long actions?

jonbearman
02-19-2012, 12:23 PM
1995 and back.I think 1996 was the first year they produced a real short action.