PDA

View Full Version : Bedding with just pillars?

bsekf
11-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Anybody tried to free float the action and barrel by bedding just pillars and recoil lug? The rear pillar would be a PIA because of the cut out for the trigger assembly. Anybody tried it? It seems like it would be easier than using a barrel block.

Bill

tinkerer
11-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Just Devcon bedded my Model 10 FP.

Screwed pillars to action after everything was good and waxed up for release. All taoping done to limit Devcon to where I wanted it.

Put Devcon on pillars. Put Devcon on top of front block and in recoil area, a little around the blind mag top, a very little around thr rear pillar bed. That about all you can do anyway. The omportant thin is the recoil lug area, and that goes right into the front pillar block. Rear pillar area is very small, amd my pillar takes up all the area necessary. At least I am sure the pillar itself is not carrying all the load.

So, to answer your question, I looked at the stock and deceided they thought it was important to have plastic around the pillars and recoil lug, I put bedding there.

Larry
Tinkerer

358Hammer
11-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Though this doesn't really answer your question; I got so tired of the piller and bedding nightmare I ellimated it. Pictured is a material (center) with a shore D hardness of 85. Drilled counterbored and that is it. Yes it is laminated with the wood on the outside. Machined to within .010 of the action. Though I have skim bedded from time to time to check the .010 tolerance, that is the only bedding I do. Yes for absolute accuracy one should skim bed. I did not respond to the initial bedding request because I think that rear piller and I have done many, is just too much work and makes to much mess.
Stocks are for a rear grip striker (made possible by SHarp Shooter Supply) and the single port Target Action.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/SeansStock.jpg

Neal