PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Got Very Lucky Today

dksac2
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
The Penn State Shooting team bought 10 Savage MK1 22LR rifles, the one's with the peep sights already installed, single shot.

They turned out to be too light in weight, so some were test fired only, like brand new.
They were advertised on another site, there were 10 of them, $225.00 each with all accessories.

They sold fast, I was luckey enough to get one.
Darn happy, I've wanted one for some time, but the $420.00 street price kept me waiting for a deal. Today was my lucky day.

Now I can't wait to get it. I only have one Savage MKII, a BRJ and it's a tac driver. I had it accurized, it shoots like it has eyes, now I have one with factory installed peep sights which I love to shoot.

I guess it pays to wait sometimes, I'm not usually the one who finds the sweet deals, I guess today was my day.

I went as far as to install peep sights on my BRJ, but the front sight that was adapted was heavy enough to change the harmonics of the barrel, the accuracy was good, but not as good as it should have been.

I collect Mossbergs, that is where I got my love of shooting with Peep sights, if you have not shot with Peep sights, you owe it to yourself to try them, they are really fun to use and deadly accurate with some practice.

I reach for my rifles with Peep sights much more than my scoped rifles now, the Peeps offer more challange than a scoped rifle does and are far easier to use than just regular open sights. If you don't have a rifle with Peeps, you are really missing out on a big part of the sport when bench rest shooting and even hunting varmints.

My Best, John K

thomae
02-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Good for you.
(I live within spitting distance of Penn State's main campus and I heard nothing of this. Too bad, so sad for me! :'()

Again, congratulations on your good deal!

dksac2
02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks, the advertised them on another web site. I guess they had quite a few, as new, There were too light weight for the team members, so they sold them for $225.00.
They said they would send them to a FFL or you could pick one up from the shooting team at the school.

I think there were just a few of us that got one, someone bought the rest for a kids shooting training rifles, so they went to an excellent place.
At first I thought someone bought the rest to sell on GB, an easy $100.00 or more profit each. I asked and was told they went to kids training. That pleased me greatly.
They are good shooting rifles.
I'm going to have my smith do his complete accurizing package on it, add a cheek riser and put some weight in the buttstock.
I'll most likely have the barrel threaded so I can put a noodle on it.

I love shooting with peep sights, far better than a scope, adds some challange and I can shoot some very small groups when I do my part.
It may not be an Annie, but my smith got my BRJ shooting consistant low .2's and some nice .1" groups on good days, I hope I can get this one to shoot as small. For the money, it will be a great rifle.

If you are not shooting peep sights, you are missing out on a lot of fun.

My Best, John K