PDA

View Full Version : Mounts?

bucksnort2
02-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Gents,
I have a new Savage Benchrest (dual-port) in .308 headed my way. I plan to mount a Weaver 36X scope on it. I do like the 4-screw mounts that are available. My question is, what height mount do I get for this configuration? Medium, high, or extra-high? Thanks in advance.

jhelmuth
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Of consideration (in this case for sure) will be at what distance you'll expect to shoot and the anticipated bullet drop for ANY shooting you are planning to do with this rifle. At 1000 yards, you can expect somewhere between 300 and 400 inches of drop. You can hold over or dope the shot - but that won't be easy. Most would dial in their scope for the calculated compensation. So here is where that could be tricky (or impossible). The Weaver T36 has an elevation range of 50MOA (up and down so +- 25 MOA of adjustment). That means you WILL need a 20 MOA base at that distance anticipating a resonable range of drop. Also to keep in mind is that you may find there is some level of range (up or down) that you will lose as a result of mounting the scope and then zeroing in at 100 yards. That is a result from the verry minor variances that can be found from the mounting of the bases to the scope in the rings.

Not trying to be a fire hose... just want to bring these things to your attention. Here are some things to think about...

> The Sightron SII36x42mm BDR is the same scope, but offers 10 more MOA of adjustment + longer eye relief (a plus for me) + reviews have favored the Sightron over the Weaver in brightness (not by much) and a few other factors. Just worth considering...
> Many folks love the Burris Signature rings for thier adjustability using their inserts. I don't use them - but I've had a set and they seem like a good solution for your problem.

Over all, I'd say medium rings would work fine and you might get away with low depending upon how you need these to sit given your face size and position on the cheek rest. Not trivial and something you'll want to consider in BR shooting as your head position may well be differnet than in a prone or standing position. Even High might work best for you. Be sure to leave a significant gap between the barrel and bottom of the objective. We don't think about barrels being flexible - but under reoil the barrel will whip a bit and I personally would never want less than 0.075" gap betwenn the barrel and objective (that's me - you decide for yourself).

All the best,

Jim

bucksnort2
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Allmy shooting will be done at 100,200,300-yards (for now).
Thans, ED

jhelmuth
02-11-2012, 04:37 PM
OK... so I think you might like the Talley Lightweight one-piece rings (prod# 940725 = medium 1" ....that works for the Weaver T36)

If I may point out... you did say "for now" (which I'll take it to mean that probably will expand to other ranges in te future). My thoughts are to consider the future - but the above suggestion is a good choice based on the requrements you satated.

Good luck and all the best!

Jim