PDA

View Full Version : Hard chrome Action

larrys1911
02-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Anyone have any experience with anyone Hard Chroming a Savage action?

thanks

Larry

ellobo
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I don't see why it can't be done, they hard chrome M-16 & M4 barrel bores. The chrome itself is so thin it shouldn't interfere with fit. If its a hunting rifle it may be a bit shiny in which case a dura-coat would be in order over the chrome. I think electroless nickle would be a better choice if you want corrosion resitance. It would be a dull grey. Maybe a coat of pink dura-coat over the nickle would add sexyness and attract chics, and I dont mean the fluffy, featherd little things. ::)
El Lobo

larrys1911
02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
El lobo,

Looking back at that post I was pretty unclear ... sorry, Ill try again.

Im asking for recommendations on people to do it.... sorry I didnt make that clear...

I know it can be done.....1911s are HCed all the time, several custom rifle makers offer it.
I think you are confusing your chromes.... Hard chrome is not shiny it looks more like satin stainless in fact its probably close enough to electroless nickel that you would have to know which it was. I havent ever seen two side by side though.

I kinda think Hard chrome would do a "little" to take up some play in the bolt in addition to more closely matching my stainless barrel.. but ElectNick wouldnt be a bad idea.

Larry

Larry

ellobo
02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Larry, come to think of it your right about the hard chrome. It has been a lot of years since I dealt with that stuff. Been retired for 12 yrs. AS for the electroless nickle, If memory serves you can specify the thickness you want but it will build up on sharp corners. I remember being contacted by a compay that did electroless nickle impregnated with teflon. At the time it sounded like a good idea for muzzleloader bores. But I lost contact and dont remember the name of the outfit after 25+ yrs.
El Lobo

stangfish
02-10-2012, 12:40 AM
Hard Chrome can be shiny if you buff it.
Nickle reflects a more white/silver light spectrum and chrome reflects more of the blue spectrum when polished.
An experienced eye can spot the two right away.
Hard chrome can be put on any thickness you want...I have seen .040 but it trees on corners and sharp edges.
You can easily plate your action. The matt or satin finish is in the prep.

In my younger days I worked for an industrial electroplating shop.

If you want to take up some play in your bolt look into a teflon coating. I am positive that if you put enough chrome on an action to take up slack you will not be happy. I would only do it for decoration or corrosion resistance.

larrys1911
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Hard Chrome can be shiny if you buff it.
Nickle reflects a more white/silver light spectrum and chrome reflects more of the blue spectrum when polished.
An experienced eye can spot the two right away.
Hard chrome can be put on any thickness you want...I have seen .040 but it trees on corners and sharp edges.
You can easily plate your action. The matt or satin finish is in the prep.

In my younger days I worked for an industrial electroplating shop.

OK strangfish, which would more closely match the savage barrel Stainless, I have the ability to bead blast it and figure I will need to do it to make it match.

From what I have read, for my purpose, the difference between the two is small do you agree or is one better .

stangfish
02-10-2012, 07:44 AM
A Savage stainless action ;D. Personaly I would call up your local chrome shop and ask them what they can do. I had our guy do special projects like plumbing fixtures and belt buckles etc.... In my opinion I dont thing you will ever get a match in color or appearance but they might get close.

Jody777
02-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Hard chrome is a great product, but if you want everything to match you should send in everything and have it plated. I used to shoot a lot of action pistol with a 1911, so I had one custom built, and chromed. The gunsmith said fit, and finish should be 100% before a chrome finish. He did that then stripped the gun and had everything chromed to a satin finish, he then polished all chrome internal parts, for a super smooth action. That was 20+ years ago, and many thousands of rds. It still looks, and functions flawlessly, with no worry about rusting. :)

RWO
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Hard Chrome and electroless nickle:

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/index.htm

http://www.apwcogan.com/plating-and-refinishing/finishes-metal-finishes.html

http://www.robarguns.com/precision_coatings.htm

RWO

ellobo
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow, there is a treasure trove of information. Things sure have changed since I retired. I suggest everyone copy that info for reference.

El Lobo