PDA

View Full Version : 375 barrel in accustock

Ron.D
02-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I'd like to build a 375 cast bullet gun. I'm new at this and since what I want doesn't exist over the counter, it's been suggested that Savage may be my easiest route. I,m wondering if I start with a 30-06 or 300 Win mag and get a 375-06 imp or 375 H&H barrel, will I have to widen the channel in the accustock, since the barrel will have a larger O.D. This and any other info you could impart on a Savage newbie would be appreciated. Ron.D

Eric in NC
02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
If you get a gun with a sporter weight barrel you most likely will need to widen the channel (not a big deal with a wooden stock and still pretty easy with a synthetic - just wrap sandpaper around the right size deep well socket and...). If you get the 300 Win mag it will have a heavier barrel and the channel would probably work but then you will have to change the bolt head too.

I have a 375-06AI barrel from PacNor on a 1917 that is great with cast and jacketed bullets - great cartridge.

Also have a factory 116 in 375 H&H - great gun but the bigger case isn't as friendly with cast loads (unless you were wanting to use black powder!).

Why are you going with 375 for the cast bullets instead of 40 or 458?

Ron.D
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I appreciate the reply Eric. I'd like the BC of .375 while maintaining something heavy hitting. I have a 444 and a 45-70, also a .358 Win and a 375 something should round out the stable. I'm a cast convert as you could tell. I chat with a lot of folks that think think the 375 H&H is perfect for cast and get 300 grs. up over 2200'/s The reason I want something custom is to get a cast friendly slower twist. My idea is a Krieger barrel with .005 grooves and a 14-16 twist. It should handle anything up to 270 grs. Thanks for the info on widening the channel, it would be a plastic accustock, sounds like even I could manage it. Ron.D

Eric in NC
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey - 550 grain 458 spitzers have a pretty good BC as do the 430 grain .410s!

The 375 H&H will certainly get the velocity if your loads hold together for good accuracy. I do find that 1,800 fps or so is my sweet spot for best accuracy but that is my experience.

hunter2
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I also have the 375-06 from PacNor but wanted it for subs. Can not get cast to shoot worth a flip in it. Have some heavy cast bullets left over if you are interested - cheap. Was getting ready to melt down for 44's. It shoots the 220 Hornady full bore in tiny little groups and quiet with a suppressor. Have shot 2 deer DRT. Started shooting 350 Clearwater Customs for subs. Have a 1" tube so I had to cut the end of the factory plastic stock off.

Ron.D
02-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Hunter 2 Thanks for the reply and offer, however we're working at opposite ends of the spectrum. I feel the need for speed and probably won't be shooting anything heavier than 270 grs. I'm surprised you can't get cast to do well in your Pacnor barrel. Have you made a chamber cast to see if you're fitting the throat well and are your bullets .001 - .002 oversized? If they are and you're shooting pretty close to straight lead, you should be good to go. What powders are you trying? IMR4759 or Unique could be worth a try for something slow and quiet.
Eric, I know a 550 gr. bullet's going to have a good BC. But to get that going fast enough for a 250 yd. hunting rifle, I'm afraid I'd be hurting almost as much as the deer or moose I'm shooting at. Now I also know that they're used in long range matches, but those guys know exactly how far they're shooting, so even if the bullet's coming down at a steep angle they know just where they'll be. I'm trying to push cast bullet hunting as close to practical as I can. Ron.D

hunter2
02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Have tried both powders. Gc and no gc. I am having to put them too far I think in the case. Have even tried pure lead. Finally gave up. Will be shooting with a can anyway. Good luck with the project.

geargrinder
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Savage has two 375 Ruger models coming out this year. That might be the easiest route.

Ron.D
02-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi gear. Yes, very interesting. I've thought of going the factory route. Zastava is the only producer that does a 14" twist barrel but it's only 22" long and I couldn't bring myself to getting a 375 H&H with that short barrel. I see the .375 hunter, when it comes out will have a 24" tube and their bearhunter has 14" twist. I like the Ruger compact package. The neck's a little short, but maybe I could live with that. Looks interesting indeed, and I may go that route, thanks. Ron.

Eric in NC
02-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Savage factory barrels are pretty accurate, but they are generally ROUGH. Not good for cast bullet guns.

Ron.D
02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Eric, I've never owned a Savage barrel before and wasn't aware that they can be a little rough. After I read your comment I did a little research and there is no shortage of folks that back up exactly what you said. Thanks for the headsup. Ron.