PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: BRJ SCOPE, RINGS AND MOUNTS

HUNTERMAGNUM
02-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I am in the process of buying a BRJ rifle and have a Tasco Bantam 3x9 scope laying around but was looking at a Vortex 6x24 50mm. What would you reccomend as far as a scope, rings and mount? I am only going to be shooting a maximum of 200 yds with this 22 mag. Also what ammo do you think will be the best for accuracy?
Thanks for any replies.

HUNTERMAGNUM
02-13-2012, 08:43 AM
No one has this rifle?

jhelmuth
02-13-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't have that one, but I'll chime in anyway... (just FYI - I do have a .22LR Savage Mark II. and I am seriously looking for a steal of a deal on the BRJ - very nice rifle)

I would definately discount the Tasco Bantam unless you intend to hunt with it. At 200 yards, a 24x scope will give you a very nice sight picture and I can't imagine you would hate it for any reason.

The Vortex 6-24x 50mm would be the Viper PST, which I understand is a very nice scope - again - I can't imagine you would not be pleased with it. I think one thing I would consider is the reticle you want for it and that would be based on the use. There are many fine scopes out there in that magnification range (extremely popular and proliferate) to choose from. The Viper PST has an excellent reputation and though a bit pricey, has a definate following.

Sorry I couldn't offer more. The BRJ is a rifle I too will have in the stable and I'm certain mos any 24x scope you put on it would work well at 200 yards.

All the best and happy shootin!

jim

dksac2
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I have a DIP rail, Leupold QD rings and a Millet 4 X 16 X 56 scope, shoot mostly at 50 yds, it also allows me to quickly put a higher power scope on it or remove the scope for cleaning etc and it goes on very close, needs little adjustment when I'm done.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/Rifleman04/DSCF0009.jpg

My best 5 shot group at 50 yds, one time only, some luck for sure, but I've come close again, it's a perfect group shot on a perfect day with Wolf MT. May be the only time, maybe not, I'd love to do another, but am not holding my breath. It's a fantastic shooting BRJ.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/Rifleman04/DSCF0178.jpg

John

HUNTERMAGNUM
03-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Wow!! Great group. I only wish mine will do as good.

jhelmuth
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
I have a DIP rail, Leupold QD rings and a Millet 4 X 16 X 56 scope, shoot mostly at 50 yds, it also allows me to quickly put a higher power scope on it or remove the scope for cleaning etc and it goes on very close, needs little adjustment when I'm done.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/Rifleman04/DSCF0009.jpg

My best 5 shot group at 50 yds, one time only, some luck for sure, but I've come close again, it's a perfect group shot on a perfect day with Wolf MT. May be the only time, maybe not, I'd love to do another, but am not holding my breath. It's a fantastic shooting BRJ.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o18/Rifleman04/DSCF0178.jpg

John

You need to be shooting that at 100+ yards!

dksac2
03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
That was a one time group, she always shoots very small when I do my part and I have decent wind, I'm not the best wind doper out there, something I'm working at.
The BRJ has a great barrel and the accurizing done by my smith helped a lot.
I love this rifle, one I'll never sell, she a fantastic rifle.

I'm not sure why more BRJ's are not sold, they are beautiful rifles. I do use a wide forend adapter from Sinclair Int. when shooting serious BR.
With a 3" bag in my rock, it really helps keep the rifle streight. I pinch shot that group. The trigger is about 6 OZ, feels like 2, almost no take up, zero creep, that helps a lot when pinch shooting.
I used Wolf MT that was sorted for rim thickness. I have found it makes little to no difference with most ammo, but the Wolf does do quite a bit better sorted, far fewer fliers. Without every round being the same, I don't think it would shoot as small with the Wolf. There are always at least 3 to 5 per box way off the norm, most are .038" give or take a little, but I see .036" to .0415" is most boxes.

The real trick is not just a good group every now and then, but consistant small groups, that is what I'm always after.

For the money, the Savage is not a target grade rifle, but sure will shoot some great groups if you get a good barrel and work on it some.

Too many expect to just shoot great groups, it takes work to get every rifle to shoot it's best on a consistant basis.

I shoot mostly 50 yds because that's the range I have in my back yard, no commercial ranges anywhere near by.

My Best, John K