PDA

View Full Version : Factory Muzzlebrake available to buy??

bajabill
02-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Are these available to buy? Considering buying a 375hh that does not have the brake but is threaded and wonder if this is an option rather than taking to a gunsmith to install an aftermarket brake.

greenhornet-1
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
If it has the same threads as my 300 RUM barrel holland sells one. That would be 9/16x28 TPI. You still have to index it.

bajabill
02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Is that one that you can just take out of the box and attach to the barrel, or is there some finishing (besides indexing with spacer) that should be done by a gunsmith? I am wondering if a takeoff savage factory 375 caliber brake could be easily transferred from barrel to barrel - same bore diameters. Or, is this something that should be checked by a gunsmith to verify the hole lines up with the bore axis.

wbm
02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
The Holland is a very good brake but it does have to be indexed. The brakes I have used for several years are the Shrewd brakes from Brownells. Great price and a really good brake.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13070/Product/MUZZLE-BRAKE

mscott71
02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Harrell's radial brakes don't have to be indexed and as long as you know the thread size of your rifle muzzle you'll be all set. The only problem is that I don't think anyone sells one with that big of a hole, so a smith would probably need to be involved anyway.

drybean
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
sin srms can make one for you
drybean

bajabill
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
It has been a busy morning and I made a couple of rash decisions and purchases, hopefully everything will go together OK.

I called savage, and after a long search he said he found a factory 375 brake. I went ahead and said send it out and then had to buy the actual barrel (116 Safari Express 375H&H) from Numrich that they say is threaded for the factory brake. I dont think there was anyway to check the compatability of the parts from the 2 places so I can just wait and see what I can do with the parts when they get here. Worst case is I have wasted $ on a brake that wont fit, but the barrel should work as is with the thread protector that Numrich supplies.

corleone000
03-25-2016, 05:15 PM
It has been a busy morning and I made a couple of rash decisions and purchases, hopefully everything will go together OK.

I called savage, and after a long search he said he found a factory 375 brake. I went ahead and said send it out and then had to buy the actual barrel (116 Safari Express 375H&H) from Numrich that they say is threaded for the factory brake. I dont think there was anyway to check the compatability of the parts from the 2 places so I can just wait and see what I can do with the parts when they get here. Worst case is I have wasted $ on a brake that wont fit, but the barrel should work as is with the thread protector that Numrich supplies.

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you happened to have an update on this project? I bought one of those barrels awhile ago...but I haven't had any luck finding a muzzle brake (off-the-shelf). Did you have to provide a SN to the Savage parts rep to get the brake?

Thanks,
Adam