PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 in .270 Win to .260 Rem

capreppy
02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I got mine from a friend last year as a hunting rifle and have come to grips with that fact that I will not likely ever shoot it as a hunting rifle (twins on the way and work schedule is another factor).

I've gotten into precision shooting (current rifle is a DPMS 24" 1-8" twist .223 Rem in an AR) and would like to build out a long range precision shooter. I've already got a rifle with a long action and am pretty sure my wife isn't going to allow me another rifle any time soon so I'm going to use the Stevens as the donor.

My buddy had already gotten rid of the synthetic stock and put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock in its place. Stock is bedded and it shoots like a dream. Only paid $250 so needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it.

Looking to go with a CBI 28" Bull Profile barrel in .260 Rem.

I believe (need confirmation on this part) that I only need to replace the bolt face as the bolt head is fine for what I am looking to do. Given the barrel profile, I am likely going to need to open up the barrel channel on the stock to accept the much thicker barrel (again need confirmation on this). I'm going to replace the stock recoil lug with a SSS Competition Recoil Lug (for $28, it is cheap insurance since I'm already going to be taking it apart).

Am I missing anything else?

As for choice of .260 Rem, I've done a fair amount of reading and I already reload so cost of ammo isn't an issue for me. From what I've read of the .260 Rem, the Lapua 139gr Scenar with a BC of 0.615 is pretty damn accurate and does very well at long ranges. If I decide to hunt with it, there are plenty of hunting bullet options on top of the large number of target bullet options.

jonbearman
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
If it was .223 you will need the shorter baffle and bolt head and barrel.That is it.The McGowens are good barrels too.I have both.

jglover_81
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
All you need is a barrel ;)

capreppy
02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
All you need is a barrel ;)

So no changes needed to the bolt or bolt face?

I guess I need to measure the diameter of the current .270 Win barrel to see how much bigger the new barrel is going to be and determine if I'm going to need to open up the barrel channel. I assume I'm going to have to since I'm going to a bull profile over what is likely a hunting profile.

Bossman
02-06-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't think the prarie hunter will open up to bull contour- not enough meat on the forend sides. Boyd's sells a varmint thumbhole laminate stock that will work-
Mike

capreppy
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't think the prarie hunter will open up to bull contour- not enough meat on the forend sides. Boyd's sells a varmint thumbhole laminate stock that will work-
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll give that a looksy. Worse case, I sell the current stock for $75 and only have to pay $30 to $40 as the difference.

Wildboarem
02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Preppy,
There is no need for a new bolt face, but as Bossman states you will probably need to change out the stock. Boyd's would be the budget choice ( great laminate stock) but I really like my Choate Tactical.

The other mod you may want to look into is the trigger. I will eventually upgrade to Rifle Basix or equivalent, but for now I changed out the trigger spring with a lighter piano wire. Should be able to do a search on this site for that. The trigger is now 100% better than the stock trigger.

Since I'm always on a budget I usually don't go the Lapua route. I have and others too, have great results with the Hornady 140 gr Amax and recently the Barnes 140 gr. match Burners. Good Luck you'll enjoy the .260.

One question though, why the bull contour over varmint contour?

ellobo
02-06-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll take the Boyds Prarie Hunter if its a stagger feed long action. If the rifle is a Stevens in .270 it should be.

El Lobo

capreppy
02-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Preppy,
There is no need for a new bolt face, but as Bossman states you will probably need to change out the stock. Boyd's would be the budget choice ( great laminate stock) but I really like my Choate Tactical.

The other mod you may want to look into is the trigger. I will eventually upgrade to Rifle Basix or equivalent, but for now I changed out the trigger spring with a lighter piano wire. Should be able to do a search on this site for that. The trigger is now 100% better than the stock trigger.

Since I'm always on a budget I usually don't go the Lapua route. I have and others too, have great results with the Hornady 140 gr Amax and recently the Barnes 140 gr. match Burners. Good Luck you'll enjoy the .260.

One question though, why the bull contour over varmint contour?

I don't have budget for this build, given the twins that will be here in a couple of weeks, I will have limitations, just don't know what they are as yet.

Guess I never indicated that in my post. I am planning to upgrade the FCG with a rifle Basix setup from the get go.

CBI seems to have the bull profile readily available and I want the added weight to reduce recoil. I am possibly looking at other barrel manufacturers as well, but my buddy, who I got the Stevens from, also bought a barrel from CBI and is pretty pleased. [EDIT]. The bull profile also gives me an option for the 28" barrel. I've not researched other barrel manufacturers as yet so I may be able to find a Varmint profile in a longer barrel length. My ideal would be for a 28 or 30" barrel.

I don't have an issue with the weight as this will likely be 95% shot as a benchrester.

I will definitely consider the Hornady A-Max's. I shoot the 75gr HPBT out of my .223 Rem AR and it is a serious tack driver. Hornady has some great products (plus all of my reloading gear is Hornady).

capreppy
02-06-2012, 04:51 PM
I'll take the Boyds Prarie Hunter if its a stagger feed long action. If the rifle is a Stevens in .270 it should be.

El Lobo

El Lobo, you'll have first dibs, but this project isn't going to happen very quickly :D

This project is going to be a long one in the making. I'm not going to breakdown the rifle till I have all of the parts necessary for the upgrade (Rifle Basix FCG, New Stock (either the Boyd's or likely the Choate (this was what I was going to end up with anyway) since I know I have to upgrade), and Barrel).

PM me your email addy and I'll email you when I get the funds for everything and am ready to sell off the parts.

ellobo
02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
capreppy, PM sent, thanks

El Lobo