PDA

View Full Version : Anyone modify the factory stevens stock?

quadsport09
02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
On a college student budget.. Does anyone just improve their stevens stocks instead of buy an aftermarket one?
thanks

D.ID
02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
I did bed a standard flimsy savage stock and it worked great but I did not try to stiffen forearm or reshape profile. I still ended up switching to a choate tactical to improve "feel" add "profile" for prone shooting and adjust length of pull. The factory stock can work but will never feel right to me but that can be said for 99% of factory stocks.

jraney
02-05-2012, 03:49 PM
i am in the process of modifing. i started with the factory stock, and to stiffen it up i put an epoxy on the inside of the barrel channel, i then screwed a paice of plywood to the bottom of the stock and proceeded to biuld up the fore arm of the stock with bondo. this may not be the correct way but it will work for me after i get the bondo like i want it i will go over that with some fiberglass resin, if you want to use fiberglass it will work but also adds more weight. also the fiberglass will add bulk so shape the bondo a little smaller than what you want the final demensions. i would have liked to buy a better aftermarket stock but i cannot bring myself to spend the money on 1. hope this helps. oh the plywood was just under 1/2" thick, it really helped to stiffin the stock also.

ellobo
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Just stiffening the forearm means nothing. The flex is back in the recoil lug area. On your college budget can you afford $97 + shipping for a good stock? Look at Boyds website for a laminate stock that wont flex and is a drop in fit. They come finished. 3 styles are available, a light wgt thumbhole called the Ross, a classic style they call the JRS and the Prairie Hunter with a raised cheapiece. I have used a couple of thier stocks and love them. They are basicaly hunting style stocks. Good luck.
Go Patriots :D
El Lobo

fcsurvivor
02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I was bored one day in the shop and had a factory stock from a Stevens 200 that was a .243 laying around. I roughed up the inside of the forend with 100grit. I then cleaned it well and built a dam to prevent any flow over into the recoil lug area. I then filled the forend with fiberglass in several layers. I allowed each layer to tack up before going to the second layer and so forth. I cured it in a heat room at 100 deg for 24hr. I then recut the barrel channel for a standard sporter barrel.
I then did pretty much the same thing to the buttstock filling it with glass. Finally I filled the magazine area with glass (this one will be a single shot) and rough fitted it to the action while leaving a little room for bedding the action.
When I was done the stock was very stiff and should work well for what I have in mind. I plan to build a walking 6mmPPC rifle with a 20" semi-heavy barrel ( yes I will have to recut the barrel channel for the barrel) on this stock so we shall see how it goes. I am quite sure though that for the money and time spent I could have bought a nice aftermarket stock. I just wanted to see what could be done.

quadsport09
02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
thats not bad at all Im sure i can afford that. I found a stock I really liked, it was around 200, called a "sniper" stock, had the adjustable cheekpiece. I might save up for that Since i liked it so much. Ill proabably keep looking for something along that style.
thanks eveyrone