PDA

View Full Version : Primer cratering LRPV

Joe O
11-26-2009, 08:29 AM
This seems to be a fairly common occurance among the newer LRPVs in .204 and .223.Some worse than others.It occurs on factory and reloads ,and is not caused by pressure,but a combination of a too long,sharp nose fireing pin,and pin hole in the bolt being beveled or too large for the pin.Lets see if I can get this Pic to load.These are factory Hornady 40gr Vmax.Sorry,no image.Don't know how to proceed after clicking on "insert image"
Anyway,it's cratering around the primer strike,with metal flowing into the pin hole(around the pin).Excessive in my gun IMO.

BillPa
11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
This seems to be a fairly common occurance among the newer LRPVs in .204 and .223.Some worse than others.It occurs on factory and reloads ,and is not caused by pressure,but a combination of a too long,sharp nose fireing pin,and pin hole in the bolt being beveled or too large for the pin.Lets see if I can get this Pic to load.These are factory Hornady 40gr Vmax.Sorry,no image.Don't know how to proceed after clicking on "insert image"
Anyway,it's cratering around the primer strike,with metal flowing into the pin hole(around the pin).Excessive in my gun IMO.

Take a look here Joe.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27382.0.html

Bll

Joe O
11-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks Bill,Suspisions confirmed on the primer flow.I was born in Chester,went in the Airforce after HS and moved everywhere.