PDA

View Full Version : I need a higher cheek weld

zap
02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a 6.5 x 47 lapua / target action, sitting in a SSS hbr stock. It also has a Ken Farrel 20 moa rail. I really don't need the rail at the moment as I have a leupold longrange model scope with plenty of elevation.

Next year I am hoping to get a sightron 8-32x56, so I would like to just leave the rail on, as I will need some heigth for the bigger bell for barrel clearance.

Is their anything out there that I can use to make my cheek weld about 1/2" - 3/4" higher, that does not require drilling holes ?

Something that would wrap around with some thick pad or something on the top for the heigth ?

tyler.woodard04
02-05-2012, 06:37 PM
there are lase on and neoprene models that would interfere with your stock tracking in bags. there is also someone making a stick on one but cant think of the name right now. midway and brownells have them along with others im sure

zap
02-05-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks,
I will check those out.

GaCop
02-10-2012, 06:30 AM
there are lase on and neoprene models that would interfere with your stock tracking in bags. there is also someone making a stick on one but cant think of the name right now. midway and brownells have them along with others im sure

+1 on the stick on ones from Brownell's. They can be layered for the height you want.

chemist1
02-10-2012, 01:33 PM
What I do is get an old mouse pad (the squishy kind) and cut it into strips that are just a bit wider than the top of the comb. Layer the strips on until you get the right high. then I tape them all together. I finish this off by placing a stock pack over the whole thing. It gives me the height I need and it is reversible/adjustable if you ever change things. I also like that it is a soft material so when I place the full weight of my head on the stock I do not feel the hard surface pressing against my cheekbone.

zap
02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
chemist1,
sounds good, but what is a stock pack ?

halfmile
02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Meadow Industries had a comb height accessory that was adjustable with inserts, trap shooters used them a lot. It was a simple synthetic leather wrap held on with velcro. I think it was called "convert-a height" or some such.

Not a lot of money, and did not disfigure the gun other than the velcro attachments stuck on. Goo Gone took it off.

HM