PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 99 Takedown Dovetail

maltise
02-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Hello Folks,I am new to this Forum,but am a member on other rifle forums,and love Savage 99,s
I have a question on a 99 Takedown that I can,t seem to get answered on other forums so I came to the experts.
Did Savage make all there 99 takedown rifles with the Takedown Dovetail cut on the barrel at the same distance from the receiver? I guess what I am asking is for the guys who have takedown,s to measure the distance from the center of the dovetail cut to the front of the receiver.
Thanks
The Dog

Blue Avenger
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Do not have a correct answer for you, just a random guess. 99s were mostly hand fitted.

maltise
02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
You must have gotten lost in the shuffle. AFAIK the dovetails were cut the same distance from the end but there are 3 different heights of the hooks.
Hooks are only available on the used/old stock market. They show up on eBay from time to time and the parts sellers that have old stock. Fairly hard to find. Not that hard to make with a small block of steel and a couple of files. The heights are short, medium and tall. Sorry, never measured them. If one didn't work I'd just try another.