PDA

View Full Version : Rock Creek Barrels

Luckus
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Any info from the crew on Rock Creek barrels. I see they make 5R barrels and I am curious if anyone has had any experience with this company. Thanks, Luckus

texwelder
02-05-2012, 01:22 AM
I built a .308 win. on a Stiller Tac-30 action, with a Rock Creek 5R barrel. I could not believe how fast I found a load for it. The first group with my pet load shot a .244 center to center, 3 shot group. Once I got a good front rest, the average group size was .188. I shoot feral hogs out past 700 yards with it......unbelievable how accurate this barrel shoots.

texwelder

Luckus
02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Texwelder, Thanks for the reply. That sounds very encouraging. How long did it take them to get it to you. Luckus

texwelder
02-05-2012, 11:02 PM
I kinda have an edge in that I live about 2 hours from Stiller's shop and he had the barrel on the shelf.

texwelder

Luckus
02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Texwelder, Whhat are the specs on your barrel? Thanks, Luckus

Senderofan
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Rock Creek barrels are excellent barrels. They work so well ....Mr. Rock had a contract in the past to make barrels for sniper rifles. I had the pleasure to see several rifles that sported his barrels at a long range shooting class. The instructor had one on his rifle...that he used as a sniper.

texwelder
02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
It is a 11.25 twist .30 caliber (308 win), reamed to SAAMI specs, of course 5R rifling, finished at 26 inches with a recessed crown. I had the barrel melonited. This was my first custom barrel and I can certainly tell the difference between factory and custom in the cleaning aspect. The custom (Rock Creek) barrel takes at least half the time and effort as any factory barrel to clean. i dont experience the dreaded copper fouling build-up, due to the fact that most custom barrels are handlapped, which makes all the difference in the world. I have also used Shilen barrels in the past and have had really good luck with them, one in 300wm and the other in 204 ruger.

texwelder

Luckus
02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks to all for your input. I just ordered a 6mm, 5R barrel from Mike. Super guys to talk to and do business with. Looks like a fun summer ahead. Luckus