PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Just bought a Savage 99E, in .308...

dogngun
02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
I think it's late 1950's*. "Walnut" finished hardwood stock, sliding safety on the lever, factory tapped, case hardened lever. All original sights, great screw slots, and near new looking bore and blue. There is a bad spot on the plastic butt plate and the head of the lower butt plate screw, as if it was dropped, and the dark finish on the forearm is scratched...not deep scratches, but the finish is scratched. The screw head on the front sling swivel is bad.

I saw it in a bargain rack at a gun shop...Checked the caliber and price, and had to buy it.
I know the owner and salesman, and they knocked $10 off the price...I paid $265 for it, which I think is pretty good.

SN is 112278xx. *There is an oval on the lever boss with 30T inside it...making it 1966.

Could not let this one get away.

mark

Eric in NC
02-04-2012, 02:01 PM
They carried the lever safety over on the "Economy" or E models for a while after they went to the tang safety on the other models. Not a collector piece but will prob. be a great shooter and a steal of a price!

maltise
02-04-2012, 10:17 PM
That is a great rifle and an even better price. Good Find.
The Dog

dogngun
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
I was just looking for a Keltec .32 pistol, which they did not have, so I looked around a little, found this on a rack in the back...I could not believe the price.

I had a 99 in .308 almost 30 years ago that was about the same price, but not anywhere as good shape.

Blue looks nearly new, and the wood is in good condition, just lost the walnut stained finish in spots, mainly on the foreend. If the wood is easy to remove, I may strip it and re finish it. Or just leave it as is.
Everything works well, the trigger is really nice and the action is smooth.

I thought I'd never have another one of these , and I am carrying it around the house like a 64 year old kid with a new toy.

mark

ADDED: I'm not a collector, or even much of a shooter any more, but I have always admired the design of the 99 and the thought that went into it. I'm delighted to have another one, and I will keep it till I leave it to someone in my will.

dogngun
02-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Just took the stock off to clean and lube the action...I saw the initials TY and number 18 on the butt of the stock under the plate, with the same letters and number stamped into the frame of the receiver after the butt was off...I am assuming that was the assembler/inspector's initials and an assembly number.

At any rate, the inside was pretty clean, but I lubed it lightly with high temp lithium gear grease, which I have used on all my guns for many years. Very smooth and it still strikes me as a gun that was shot maybe once or twice a year, in deer season, and put away till the next year. Is shows almost no wear at all on any mechanical parts, just some loss of finish on the wood, which I am covering with a dark stain that seems to be working fine.

I really great rifle. A shame they are no more, but I imagine they would cost a fortune to make now...

mark

langenc
04-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Sounds like the one I got last summer. I replaced those yukky see thru mounts and a Weaver scope.

I looked real careful yesterday and the letters in the oval on the boss are 30 D or just 300. I suspect a D. When made??