PDA

View Full Version : Who has removed a soldered/brazed scope base

Rammit
02-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Ive was given a savage 110 in 3006, E serial if it matters a long time ago when i went to put a new scope on it i realized that the rail stuck on there. Ive gathered from that these were made for a few years but have been unable to find if it is possible and has it been done? Does all it take is a MAP torch and a hammer? I figured I would ask here before i go and really mess things up. Any input it appreciated.

Rammit
02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
So I went for it today, the base has to be welded I heated it up and it would not budge no solder dripping I'm taking it to a smith to be milled tapped and threaded for a on peice base this week

geargrinder
02-06-2012, 01:51 AM
It may not be welded. It may be cast as part of the action.

As I understand it, Savage briefly experimented with cast actions with integrated bases.

sharpshooter
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Some were spot welded.

Rammit
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Took it to my smith and it turns out map does not get hot enough. Hit it with an oxyacetylene torch and they popped right off, 35$ later it's drilled and tapped for a one peice rail. While ordering the rail I went all out and got a new barrel, sss recoil lug and extended bolt handle, I was pretty happy that I didn't have to have the old bases milled off.