PDA

View Full Version : Match and mix dies or stick to a brand

Nandy
02-02-2012, 06:54 PM
I will start reloading soon for my new build on 7mm rem mag and as with the 30-06 I want to neck size only and want a bullet seater with a micrometer to keep the bullet seating guess to a minimum. Im undecided between picking the "Redding Type S Match Bushing 3-Die Neck Sizer Set" midway #340006 for $170.90 (then add shell holder + bushing and you are pushing $205.) or get the "Forster Ultra 2-Die Set" Midway #841047 for $94.99 and match it with either the "Lyman Deluxe Neck Sizer Die with Carbide Expander Button" Midway #339004 for $31.99 or the "Lee Collet 2-Die Neck Sizer Set" (Im using this one for the 30-06 and im satisfied) Midway #714059 for $28.49 which will put me in the $135.00 worst case scenario. This is a $70.00 difference which is money I can use on bullets, powder or much other stuff...
Im just not sure if the last will be the smart route, it is the cheaper for sure... I like the idea of not having to lube when neck sizing using the lyman or the lee die. Seems the Redding sets will require me to use the full size die for decaping then use the neck only die for sizing while either the lee or lyman will do both in one stroke... This is a hunting rifle but I will shoot it more punching paper than hunting... Around 400 yards. However, if mix and matching will have a noticeable negative effect on accuracy then I will definitely go for the Redding regardless of money or extra step when reloading.

What are y'all educated opinions?

Seems the lyman die is new, I could not find any reviews anywhere I looked. I wonder if the carbide expander works as advertised. I know carbide dies are use all the time on pistol/revolver shells but this might be a bit different. Any input on that will be appreciated.

Thanks as usual!

drybean
02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
just myself,the lee collet dies are great &
if you do not like them ,you have not lost much$
drybean

efw
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
My ideal set goes like this:

RCBS/Redding FLS
Lee Collet Neck Sizer (or Hornady New Dimension Neck Sizer if Lee doesn't make a CNS for cart in question)
Hornady Seater
Lee Factory Crimp Die (if crimp is necessary)

I only use FLS dies once (if using range pick-ups) on bolt rifles. Between the Lee Collet Neck Sizer & Hornady seater I doubt I could get much better concentricity, even if I spent 2 car payments on a set of Redding Comp dies.

The Lee CNS doesn't utilize an expander button so not only do you get maximum concentricity, but they also extend case life cuz you're not working the brass so hard by squeezing it down then expanding it back out. Many say you'll have to bump the shoulder back once in a while, but I have '06 cases that have been resized w/ them over 10x w/out that need.

gotcha
02-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Well, if you want a micrometer seater ya have to bite the bullet :D Forster 7mm rem mag about $72.00. Go to: "FS reloading" and get Lee three die set for $29.95 includes F/L die, collet die & seater. (use the Lee seater for a paper weight) This will give you everything you need to load quality ammo. You might want to add a Redding 7mm mag body die $26.95 & use the less expensive 2 die Lee set w/ seater & collet only. It won't hurt to mix & match. "FS reloading" might sell the Lee collet seperately saving a few more bucks. Grafs & Sinclair have better pricing on Redding & Forster than Midway. Good luck!

Nandy
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Gotcha, great minds think alike. When it was apparent that most people think the lee collect dies are very concentric I went and select the lee 3 dies set and a micrometer die. Saved over a 100 there.
Thanks, Y'all!