PDA

View Full Version : Bedding an HS Precision stock.

skyguy59
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Is there any benefit to be gained by bedding an HS Precision stock? I recently purchased a Savage 110 FCP HS and am curious if it would be worth while in the accuracy department.

Thanks in Advance

Russ

thirty06
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
You never know for sure. But I've never seen it make one shoot worse.
Try it or you'll always wonder.

chemist1
02-02-2012, 04:39 PM
How does it shoot now? If it is a true 1/2 moa rifle than I would leave it alone. If it is 1 to 1+ moa rifle I would bed it.

jhelmuth
02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I have to agree with chemist (and partially disagree with thirty06). Improper bedding can make ANY rifle shoot worse than it already does (particularly when it already shoots sub MOA).

Now... having said that, I would say that the HS Precision bedding block is excellent to start and - unless damaged or otherwise not as designed - will perform as if it were bedded (skim bedded) too. The only area I have some curiosity about is the recoil lug area itself. I have been tempted to give it a shot (pardon the bad pun), but am hesitant as mine shoots so well and I really do not want to ruin what is already an excellent rifle stock. It doesn't take too much investigation to find numerous instances of well intended shade-tree gun smiths/owners who have bedded thier actions in an attempt to squeeze the last ounce of accuracy from thier rifle, only to find that they ruined it (sometimes to the point of never being able to get it back).

Proceed with caution and do some thorough investigation before breaking out the Devcon/glass..... (and let me know what you find out) ;)

skyguy59
02-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Thats kind of where I'm at. It shoots so good I'm afraid to really mess with it. This is my first "non assault rifle" synthetic stock. Old school (wood stock) curiosity made me ask. Thanks guys.

jonbearman
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I have bedded several of them and they are not much harder to do than anything elde.I have a mill and I mill tiny slots in key areas for the marine tex or acraglas to have a place to really key into and hold.If you dont have a mill you can dremel small grooves in key areas to make it hold better.