PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing a .260 Rem. AI

TORCHRIDER
02-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Can I set the headspace on a Savage action and a 260AI barrel using a standard 260REM, 7mm-08, 243, etc. GO Gauge? The datum line should be the same right? If not, does anyone make an AI version of a Go Gauge?

Thanks,

Dave

darkker
02-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Standard Go gauge, Correct. That is what got the average person interested in AI stuff years back. IF you didn't have reloads, factory ammo was still safe to shoot.

thirty06
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
No you can't. The go gauge becomes the no go on an Ackley. Your datum line is 4 thous. shorter if I remember right.

Cover Dog
02-02-2012, 09:05 AM
NO you can't !!! The following is from the Clymer Catalog:

This is from the Clymer catalog:

The “GO” gauge for the standard chamber becomes a “NO-GO” gauge for the improved chamber.
This means that an “improved NO-GO” will drop in a standard chamber since it is the same length
as a “GO” gauge for the standard chamber.

P.O. Ackley (on whose principles this discussion
is based) recommends that this distance be reduced by .004” in an “improved” chamber to compensate
for these variations in ammunition. Since headspace gauges for a standard chamber gauge this distance,
headspace gauges with the same shoulder angle .004” shorter are used to gauge the breechface-to neck/shoulder junction or “improved” chambers. This is why our gauges for “improved” chambers
are made with the same shoulder angle as headspace gauges for standard chambers.

TORCHRIDER
02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys. After this post I started to do some research (novel idea, huh?) And discovered that the GO gauge for the parent cartridge is about .004 longer than the improved version. I will either find an improved GO gauge or use a parent case and do a slight crush fit when seating the barrel. Any other recommendations?

drybean
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
just thinking(gets me introuble)cut 4thou.off
your standard head space gauge,or rent one
drybean

airaddict
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM
When i was messing with my 223ai. I had the ackley go and reg go gage. Of course i would set the barrel to the ackley gage and tighten the nut down and double check with the reg go gage which wouldnt close the bolt since it was the no go for the ackley.

Couldnt you use the reg go gage to set headspace by making sure the bolt isnt closed on it and use a piece of fireformed brass to make sure it chambers and closes the bolt. All this is just cause my ackley gage is on backorder. Of course if i could i would use the to right gages to set headspace so there isnt any question but shouldnt this work in a pinch?

Brian

Blue Avenger
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys. After this post I started to do some research (novel idea, huh?) And discovered that the GO gauge for the parent cartridge is about .004 longer than the improved version. I will either find an improved GO gauge or use a parent case and do a slight crush fit when seating the barrel. Any other recommendations?
start with a .308 brass if you have some. If not have a .308 / .30-06 die or something with a 7mm expander you could put in your .260 brass just to push in enough to Open the neck? Then resize with your .260AI die to make a false shoulder if you plan on using brass to headspace. It will get you a closer fit to your die.

.308 to .243AIhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/reloading/201_5028.jpg