PDA

View Full Version : stock suggestions

calib
01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
i am building a 22 250 ai 1:12 with a magnum contour 28" barrel

i am wondering what stock you guys would suggest. i have a choate tactical on my 243ai (soon to be a 6/284), i like it quite a bit, but that gun is too heavy to be lugging around all afternoon. the 22 250ai will most likely be used for coyotes from 0-how ever many yards, so i am hoping to take it out with me occasionally hiking. i prefer a non wood stock. this will be built off of a stevens m 200 most likely.

thanks

chemist1
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Depending on price I would look at a durramax (cheap), Stockade stocks money saver (mid-price), Manners (top end).

psharon97
01-31-2012, 11:06 PM
boyds thumbhole should fit the bill.

calib
02-03-2012, 05:40 PM
anyone have or had both the choate tactical and the ultimate varminter? what do or did you think of them and what one do you like the most.

psharon97
02-04-2012, 12:39 AM
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/psharon97/P2211480.jpg

I Don't have the tactical but I do have the varmint. One of my favorite things about them was the fact that I could change the length of pull and how high I wanted the comb. I did not have to bed the action, the gun shoots phenomenal now. The downside to this stock is the weight and the bulk of the stock. This is a great stock for F-Class in my opinion, or just shooting off a bipod. Anything that requires a rest to shoot, this rifle will do well. However, I would never want to lug this stock around the woods. I would consider a laminate thumb hole like boyds over this stock. But there is never one stock that fills all roles.

82boy
02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
anyone have or had both the choate tactical and the ultimate varminter? what do or did you think of them and what one do you like the most.

I have one, but it is a factory original stock. Back in the early 2000's Savage offered a rifle called the VSS. the rifle came with a slightly heavier barrel contour, and the first productions came with the SSS comp trigger, with latter productions having the accu-trigger. The rifle came in 3 calibers 223, 22/250, and 308. The guns was very expensive.
http://gunblast.com/Savage_12VSS.htm

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_savage_0722/

http://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_12series_rifles.htm

Now back to the questions on the stock. The stock has an aluminum v blcok bedding system, and it is very sturdy. I would prefer the varminter stock over the tactical stock, mainly do to the tactical stock having a strait or flat forearm, where the tacticale model has a slant to it. The rear bi pod is absolutly worthless, I removed mine. I had a custom rear bag made from protektor, and I shoot mine off of a rest.

The stock preforms very well, in fact when I first got mine I bought it the night before never shot it, through a scope on it and pulled a load out of my head and took it to a match, and that day I won factory class beeting out several shooters. I dont understand Major Plastors thinking when he designed this stock, they put these little riddges all along the bottom of the forearm, and the bottom of the stock. He claimes that this was done to keep the rifle from recoiling, and to give it a grip into a sand bag. This is my biggest complaint about this stock. Most shooting disiplines prefer that the stock slides over a sand bag. This can be reminidied buy wrapping felt around the contact surfaces of the stock, and letting the stock slide on the felt.

In conclusion, I would have to say the stock preforms great, it is well made, and has many features that high end glass stocks have. I am not a big fan of the way the stock looks, and the vertical grip takes some getting use to. I personaly would say that this stock is better than a boyds, or a laminate stock that doesn't have pillares installed. I would say that I liked the stock better than a Duramax stock, because of the aluminum v block, the slot in the forarm, and I would say that it is better made. The stock is heavy, it may not be something that you want to drag around all day.

calib
02-04-2012, 11:23 PM
thanks guys

i like the feel of the tactical and have had the varminter, but maybe the reason i like the tactical more is cause it is built with a 243 ai and the varminter had a 7stw set up so not a lot of comparison.

calib
02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
loocks like ill be going long action to make the 6-284 work with 95 grain bergers. now i have to look at other stocks a bit what are the screw spacings for the long actions?

GaCop
02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
loocks like ill be going long action to make the 6-284 work with 95 grain bergers. now i have to look at other stocks a bit what are the screw spacings for the long actions?

IIRC, 5.062".

calib
02-10-2012, 05:18 PM
whats the iirc?

GaCop
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
whats the iirc?

"if I recall correctly"

sniper15545
02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
B&C Medalist A2 is light and a great stock for around $220.00

calib
02-12-2012, 01:30 PM
i wouldnt mind the medalist, but i dont like the fore end how it has the little wings on the bottom