PDA

View Full Version : 338 rum.

goob
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
O.K. Im on my first gun build. Its going to be a 338 rum with a 30" barrle and I want to use the 300 grain bergers. My gunsmith says it needs to be single shot. "( im fine with). He says he can throat the chamber for what ever seating detph. My question is can i seat the base of the bullet at the base of the neck to get the most case vol. Please any opinion will be helpful. Also what is the best on this bullet' touching the lands or?

ELLIOTTFARMSHUNTS
02-27-2012, 12:57 AM
I just finished my RUM build with savage 110 action and had Pac-Nor do the barrel and brake work(I supplied the brake). They set it up and I trust the gunsmith but they asked what bullet I wanted to primarily shoot and I said the 245 gr Bore Tech solid. Right now I am breaking in the barrel with the 300 gr Berger's and I loaded them to be .015 off the lands and 10 shots in the throat has not moved yet. Some people say the throat can open up some on break in...who knows. My 12 FTR .308 and 10 FP .308 both liked the bergers at .015 to .020 off the lands so that's why I chose to load the 300 grainers the same.