PDA

View Full Version : Rifle receiver to a "Stryker" pistol

handirifle
01-31-2012, 02:16 PM
I just got off the phone with the CA DOJ, to confirm a call I got from them, in answer to the above question. They say I am good to go in converting a rifle (was VERY specific about that) receiver to using a 10-14" barrel and hand held design grip, no buttstock. I asked very specific questions, in my email (that she is replying to) to insure this is NOT an SBR or NFA weapon, as a result of this.

She is in the process of sending written confirmation on that.

So, with that question answered, I have a question about converting the trigger assembly to mid mount, or wondering how the stryker does it? Also, is the stryker (factory) a single shot or blind mag?

Any links with pictures, details is much appreciated. Not sure what caliber I would go with, at this juncture, or even what the target would be, paper or flesh. But that is just a matter of switching the right parts around.

tinkerer
01-31-2012, 03:22 PM
1. I BELIEVE she is incorrect as FEDERAL laws require that once a rifle, always a rifle. And a rifle is at least 16.5" barrel with 26" overall. This is why some people took a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock, cut off the butt stock and used a rifle action with over 16" barrel and rear trigger assembly.

2. Striker triggers are mounted to the internal mag (2-3 shots). There are at least 3 different generations. First gen is a tension bar and roller setup, gens 2 and 3 are lever bars.

Personally, if I was going to MAKE my own Striker rom a rifle action, I would use an aftermarket trigger assembly and a simple trigger and bar from the front area (somewhere just behind the recoil lug). It would be single shot to reduce clutter in the way. Or I would make it all electric.

Your money and time.

Larry
Tinkerer

psharon97
01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
In order to build a stryker from a savage action, you will need to purchase an undesignated action. You can purchase them here from Northland. As always, you must post a picture of your build on the forums. :D ;)

handirifle
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
That was my concern, but I will follow up with the Feds, to be sure before anything gets built. I know there were some new rulings here in CA over the "adjustability" of the TC rifles/pistols. Thanks for the design info. Any pictures I can get links too?

drybean
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
were in ca. do happen to live
drybean

handirifle
01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
were in ca. do happen to live
drybean

Central Coast region, Santa Margarita, to be exact.

Eric in NC
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
I just got off the phone with the CA DOJ, to confirm a call I got from them, in answer to the above question. They say I am good to go in converting a rifle (was VERY specific about that) receiver to using a 10-14" barrel and hand held design grip, no buttstock. I asked very specific questions, in my email (that she is replying to) to insure this is NOT an SBR or NFA weapon, as a result of this.

She is in the process of sending written confirmation on that.

BATF will certainly have authority over a state DOJ and as far as I know, once a rifle, always a rifle and modifying it to a SBR is a no-no without all the required stamps and permits. The feds won't care about your letter from a state official.

Way easier and safer to buy an undesignated new action.

Blue Avenger
01-31-2012, 09:58 PM
Fed trumps state!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't do it!

KRP
01-31-2012, 11:43 PM
It's legal to grow dope in California though still against federal law. I can't imagine California passed a "firearms freedom act"? Even then it would still probably be illegal as the action was imported.

durango
01-31-2012, 11:59 PM
First of all, it is a STRIKER!! Sometime prior to 2003, CA passed a new law that all new handguns (and maybe all firearms) had to pass a drop safety test. Savage elected not to have the strikers tested and since then no new strikers were allowed to enter the state. If they were already in state, you could purchase one--subject to all the rest of CA's silly laws. This is only one of the reasons that I now live in Iowa--with my three strikers.

In other words, if you introduce that firearm into CA, you would have to have it pass the drop test first (last I heard, several thousand $$$ per model) If your CA FFL were to violate this statute, the FEDS will gleefully prosecute under CA law.

I believe that the "adjustibility" of the TC rifles/pistols was some kind of exemption from the law that I mentioned above. Unless something has changed for the better I'm thinking your contact at the DOJ needs to do more research. No matter what she puts in writing will be a defense for you if something should happen. They won't take just the offending firearm-they take them all!! Good Luck, Steve

handirifle
02-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Well first off, all plans are on hold, unless the feds agree with the state DOJ. I need to check with the state DOJ on the legality of owning it.

KRP
Not sure what you mean that the actions "was imported". My intention was to build it from existing actions, legally purchased here, but will wait to see. As for it being legal here, referring to the drop test, I will further question the DOJ. Good grief, you'd think that if one had a letter FROM THE AUTHORITIES ON THE MATTER it would be considered legal, wouldn't you???? but I get your points. I have no intention of building it if the feds do not agree with what the DOJ has said.

Time will tell. I am in no hurry for this, especially since I have no idea what I would use it for at this point in time. I DO KNOW that there are exclusions in even the Fed law that allow for the construction and use of firearms that you may not be able to sell. I do not claim to have all the answers here, not even most of them. Thanks to all for the sincere feedback, no offense was taken and I am sure none was meant, just looking out for me.

Blue,
yes you're right, and I have NO intention of losing anything to the feds. This will either be a go or a no go project, no sweat either way.

KRP
02-01-2012, 03:01 AM
By "imported" I meant it was manufactured out of state...the basis behind the firearms freedom act. By NFA definition you're building an SBR, which could be perfectly legal under some state's laws using certain parts. The federal government says you need to pay the tax though.

handirifle
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
By "imported" I meant it was manufactured out of state...the basis behind the firearms freedom act. By NFA definition you're building an SBR, which could be perfectly legal under some state's laws using certain parts. The federal government says you need to pay the tax though.

Hmmm, I wonder then, if the state DOJ says it's ok, if they would then allow me to go through the feds and build an NFA weapon, after paying the tax? That might be a way to do this. If I can get the letter from the state saying they have no problem with it, then I wonder if the feds will care?

OK, IF IF IF, this could work out legal somehow, what do you stryker owners use your most for? I would like one because of the "coolness" factor, and the fact that Savage is so versatile.

Say, for hunting deer, what calibers seem the most popular without breaking your wrist with recoil?

KRP
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
With the tax stamp an SBR is legal according to the feds. If it's legal under state law you still need to get local law enforcement to sign the Form 1 to get the stamp.

durango
02-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Where to begin--It sounds as though you want a mid grip striker but no other specs or desires have been mentioned. Unless you have a special bolt/port configuration in mind, why build from scratch? If you have the donor rifle already, sell it, whole or in pieces and find a ready built striker. It sounds as though you may not have the donor so that's another expense to bear. I fully understand the thrill of Do-It-Yourself--I have 7 bolt action Savages and only two are still virgin, but not for long.(both are Strikers). You asked about caliber choices--unless you're thinking of mule deer, I would consider .243, .260 or 7-08. As far as recoil is concerned, they all have considerable muzzle jump, but otherwise, its how you hold'em--they are hand cannons! (REALLY FUN hand cannons)

Now, since you live in California, here's my suggestion: Start looking for a used one in California and if possible, buy it. Don't worry about the caliber, you can pick up a take-off barrel on this site and probably sell the original if you're so inclined. California is really your main hangup-I'm not suggesting to not go by the rules, just work with them. After living in CA for 47 years and being a gun nut for 42 of those years, I can tell you alot of horror stories.

There are still alot of questions that you haven't brought up-bench gun, target gun, field gun, optics, stocks, etc, etc. I suggest that you visit and register at Specialtypistols.com. If you would like, PM your phone number and when to call and I will call you and we can discuss some of this stuff.

handirifle
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Durango
Much appreciated on the feedback. Yea CA can be a bummer for gun owners, they do not make it easy. Uncle Sam sent me here in '72 and except for 16 mo in West Germany, I have been here ever since. I hunted, trapped and fished Ohio, for at least 7 years before that.

I didn't mention other uses, cause I really am not sure what I'd do with it. It seems like a novelty gun that might be fun. Might keep my eye open for one, like you mentioned, either way, it sounds like it won't be cheap.

Appleseed
02-02-2012, 10:10 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,44751.0.html

Blue Avenger shared pics of trigger assemblies in this post. Agree that a used Stryker will be your best bet. Am working on a rear grip stock for a non-designated left hand action, came from the factory custom shop new. It was less than a new rifle. If FFL in NC won't let me use a rifle action, can't figure why CA would?

Try calling the custom shop and see if the factory will resurrect a Stryker?