PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: 220 ejection problem?

Pages : [1] 2

Dawgs
11-25-2009, 05:54 PM
my second shell keeps getting hung up on the way into the barrle. anyone else have this problem?

RandyWakeman
11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure what it is you are saying-- how is this "ejection" related?

Dawgs
11-26-2009, 06:24 PM
ok not actually ejection but cycling. as i explained in the post. the second shot gets hung up

i think you know what i meant

hunter540
11-26-2009, 08:10 PM
I just sighted in my 220F today... didn't put any shells in the magazine... just dropped the shell on the follower and chambered the round.
I'm experiencing the same problem... the shell doesn't eject when I cycle the bolt... I have to pick the shell out of the chamber.
I ran out of time, so I didn't solve the problem... I'll be using the gun Monday for opening shotgun season in Massachusetts.

I'm guessing that the ejecting shell relies on the up pressure from the magazine follower spring, and the shell to be loaded, to eject the fired shell.
Try stretching the follower spring to create more up pressure on the shell to be loaded... and see if that helps... There may be less up pressure after
the first shell in th magazine feeds.

The good news is that, after sighting in, my LightFields grouped just over 1" at 100 yards... so I'm looking forward to opening day!
But it may be necessary to concentrate on "One Shot One Kill" till I solve the ejection problem.
I think this is going to be my dream slug gun for shotgun only Massachusetts deer hunting.

Lightweight, accurate with my Bushnell Trophy 1-4 w/Illum 1 min dot in reticle, hopfully reliable (We'll See), and AccuTrigger...
A Savage Rifle With a Slug Barrel... and a Big Bolt Face.

Good Luck,

JR

Mad Dog
11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Friggan Savage!!!!

Why do they keep using the same model numbers, did they run out and have to use the old ones?

When I see Savage 220 I'm thinking Savage single shot shotgun, kinda numbs my brain when I see someone talking about cycling problems in it. ;D

Same with the model 40 and 25......already used Ron! Can't think up another bunch of numbers Coburn? >:(

Blue Avenger
11-26-2009, 09:47 PM
Friggan Savage!!!!

Why do they keep using the same model numbers, did they run out and have to use the old ones?

When I see Savage 220 I'm thinking Savage single shot shotgun, kinda numbs my brain when I see someone talking about cycling problems in it. ;D

Same with the model 40 and 25......already used Ron! Can't think up another bunch of numbers Coburn? >:(

LOL I had the same problem!

hunter540
11-27-2009, 10:57 AM
After looking at the magazine for the 220F, I realized that your problem was a feeding problem... and my problem was an ejection problem.
Although once I start using the magazine, I may end up with the same feeding problem.

The edges on my magazine (plastic) have sharp edges on the lips where the rim of the shell could hang up... I wonder if rounding these edges
may help the feeding problem.

I won't have time to go to the range before I go hunting on Monday... but I'll check out the magazine feeding when I get there.

JR

Dawgs
06-18-2010, 05:17 PM
savage sent me a new magazine to try but i have the same issue. they said that they never heard of that problem and i shouldnt "baby" it. the gun is less than a year old. i dont think i have to be too aggressive to cycle it. just sent my 220 back to savage this morning so they can look at it

sharpshooter
06-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Friggan Savage!!!!

That and the alphabet soup after the numbers....all the letters have been used and they will start on the Russian alphabet soon. ;D

buyobuyo
06-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Does the shell move at all before it hangs up?

Since a shotgun round is rimmed, you have to make sure that the rim of the top round is in front of the round below it when you load the magazine. Otherwise, the rims will catch each other and cause feeding problems. Same thing applies to any rimmed case, like 22LR or 7.62x54R.

pdog06
06-21-2010, 11:32 PM
thats a good point buyobuyo. Have to remember that.

Sounds exactly like the problem Dawg's having.

EFBell
06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
With the design of the magazine it would be pretty hard to catch the rim of the shell underneath.

Dawgs
06-24-2010, 08:28 PM
yeah the shell actually hangs up going into the barrel. so its on its way out of the magazine already. savage has the gun now. lets see what they say

pdog06
06-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Took mine out for its maiden voyage yesterday to breakit in, sight in the scope, and try a couple different slugs.

Mine ejected and cycled perfectly, with the exception of the bolt dragging a little from the matte finish on the bolt body.

buyobuyo
07-07-2010, 12:06 AM
yeah the shell actually hangs up going into the barrel. so its on its way out of the magazine already. savage has the gun now. lets see what they say

Any news from Savage as to what the problem is?

Dawgs
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
called savage yesterday. theyre closed until next week

Dawgs
07-23-2010, 09:34 PM
well i got the gun back. invoice says they removed some burs. polishes the metal and sent it to the range for firing

so they basically did nothing. i bet i have the same problem i had when i shoot

jb27
12-23-2010, 01:22 PM
I purchased the 220f this past fall for deer season as my 12 ga was leaving my shoulder bruised for a week, plus I read that the 220f was extremely accurate. As for the accuracy, the gun is balls on--1/2 high at 60 yards, dead bull at 110yards and 1 1/2 low at 150 yards, and at the 60 and 100, the bullet holes touched. Now the problem--ejection of the fired round. The ejector pins were "dropping" the spent round about an inch out of the chamber and the spent case slid back into the chamber. No problems with any spent round hitting the scope turret when it did eject properly. Ejection problem was for 8 out of every 10 rounds. Have a friend in my club who is a gunsmith and he figured out and fixed ejection issue. The problem was that the ejector pins were not deep enough to grab the rim base of the round and any force, like riding along the next round in the clip, would cause the pins to release the round before reaching the point where they would eject it. A simple file job and the problem was fixed. Remington Accutips are what my 220f likes the best and they work on deer very very well.

gutpile01
12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
After reading all the hype about the 220f, I had to have one, err, my son had to have one (gets by the wifey easier and less time in the doghouse).

Put the EGW rail on her and the Leupold Shotgun scope with Leupold rings. Had it out this AM before the storm for a test drive. The gun cycled flawlessly. Feeding from the magazine was 100% operational as well as extraction. Shot Winchester Platnums, Lightfield Hybrids, SST's, and 3" Barnes Expanders. The gun favored the expanders but did they hit me! That 3 shot group was 1.66". And it was windy, cold, etc. Not best range conditions, but I just had to burn some powder.

I ordered some 2.75" Barnes and the Remmy AccuTips today. I think it is gonna be a shooter right out da box! (finally). We still have over a month of shotgun season here in NJ, so we may just get a field report in as well.

leverman
02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Does the 220 not come with a scope rail or would I need to buy one.