PDA

View Full Version : Bolt assembly screw stripped out... WHAT TO DO?

silvercreekguide
01-31-2012, 04:16 AM
I just bought an older 111 action with a flat back. When I got it home and got a good look at it I noticed the bolt assembly screw was stripped out. How should I go about removing it without damaging the bolt? And where can I get a replacement? Thanks

GaCop
01-31-2012, 06:45 AM
You should be able to get one from Brownell's or Midway USA. I don't know if Savage would sell you one. You should be able to remove the stripped one with an "easy out".

thomae
01-31-2012, 08:09 AM
If you mean that the allen socket in the BAS has been stripped (corners rounded, etc...) than, if you can't find an allen wrench to fit, a bolt/screw extractor (I believe that is the "easy out" that GaCop already suggested) is a good idea, or you could cut a slot in the end with a dremel cut off wheel and use a big screwdriver. Or you could use your dremel to make two flat cuts on opposite sides so you could grab the BAS with vice grips.

Hope this helps.

barrel-nut
01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Or try a large torx bit, hammer it in if necessary. I've had this work on other Allen head screws that had rounded off.

Worst case, drill the head off.

Slenk
01-31-2012, 10:22 AM
My older flat back 111s only have a screwdriver slot. Take a BIG screwdriver.

hound53
01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
I would drill a 3/8 th hole in it 1/2 inch deep or so then use a easy out. Be sure to use sharp drill bits, center punch a start dimple and drill the hole in increments of 1/8, then 1/4 then 3/8 use plenty of light oil when drilling and let the drill bit do the work and don't force it and you should be fine.

silvercreekguide
01-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I'll give them a go this afternoon.