PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone fired a Savage 7mm-08 with the new slower 1-11.5" twist rate

Pages : 1 2 [3]

TitanX
02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
yeah, but i'm not all that mechanically inclined. taking the path of least resistance is the choice here haha. still havent decided if i want to go with the 16 accustock or a 11. i see some company or website called savagegunsmithing.com will do accurizing packages on savage rifles for around $250, which includes glass bedding and action truing. any idea if the accustock can be glass bedded (or would even be necessary?) i like the idea of the accustock, BUT it is a moving part (the wedge), and moving parts can always introduce another variable.

NATTY BUMPO
02-22-2011, 12:29 AM
Why in heaven's name would they change to a slower twist?? That's just plain regressive. The bullet weights used most often in a 7mm-08 are going to be in the 120-140 range, but there may be times when a man wants to load up a 150 or 160 gr. bullet. I think this exercise was already performed once before back when Winchester introduced the .243 and Remmie introduced the .244. By slowing the twist down, they have precluded certain options. This makes no sense to me. And I don't wanna hear "because I know better/because I'm the mommy." That explanation might have flown when I was 6, but not so much anymore. If they have a good reason for it, then they need to explain it and share it, so that we can consider it and judge it for ourselves. Dang it, I wish they hadn't done that...

I guess now if I want a 7mm-08 it'll have to be a Tikka.

tammons
02-22-2011, 12:45 AM
Now they are back making 9.5 twist barrels again.
It was probably blanks made by mistake or ordered by mistake with the wrong twist.

The 6.8 SPC preferred twist is 11-12 twist so maybe some tooling or an order got mixed up.
Savage has never fessed up as to why they switched to 11.5 then switched back 9.5.

NATTY BUMPO
02-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Maybe they realized that their customers wanted the faster twist. Slower twist = drop in sales = go back to faster twist.

tammons
02-22-2011, 01:43 AM
I think it was a screw up but who knows.

Cycler
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
I think it was a screw up but who knows.
If so it was a screw up that took at least two or three years to correct.

robert d
05-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I bought one for my dughter youth modle. With the muzzle breake thought it would be a good no kick combo,but it came with a plastic recoil pad on it bad thing it hurt to shoot. My guess is they were trying to keep length of pull short with out changing stock mold. I put a kick ease on it all is fine on recoil end. I think the 1-11 twist is well suited for what i bought the gun for i knew ahead of time the twist rate but knew i was only going to shoot 120gr, anyway varget powder sierria spit. shoots 3 under 1 inch at 3000 fps perfect for what i bought it for. low recoil hard hitting on deer out to 300 yds. I think its a good design for intended purpose. except recoil pad.

powderburn
05-19-2011, 12:58 PM
My buddy has one, His seems to shoot fine with the speer 145 gr and lighter weight bullets. His does not however like the heavier BTSP designs he tried. He is very happy with his amd like someone said he has a first rate deer rifle for under $300 with a decent scope.