PDA

View Full Version : Convert Model 10 .308 to fixed ejector???

762X51
01-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I understand that some Savage rifles had fixed ejectors. Were any of these made with a .308/30-06/.270 etc. sized bolt head? If the bolt exists how was the ejector installed in the receiver? If the parts do indeed exist would it just be a matter of swapping bolt heads and installing the ejector?

sharpshooter
01-31-2012, 01:22 AM
If you are referring to a controlled round feed using the v-spring ejector, it only came in magnum size.

762X51
01-31-2012, 08:40 AM
Then would it be possible to modify a non magnum bolt head with an ejector slot? Would there need to be any modification to the receiver to install the standing ejector?

sharpshooter
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
It won't work with a .473 bolt face because of the position of the ejector. This set up does not use a "standing ejector, it uses a V-spring ejector.A slot must be milled in the receiver for the ejector. The standing ejectors were used on the early models with the C-clip style bolt head.
Why do you want a controlled round feed?

762X51
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Why do you want a controlled round feed?

I like rifles that work! I also like certain features of the Savage rifle. I wish I could combine the two.

sharpshooter
02-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Which part of it doesn't work that you need to fix?

762X51
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Which part of it doesn't work that you need to fix?

Basic functioning...Feeding and Ejection! Until I bought the two Savage rifles I have now, I had only owned a Pre 64 Winchester M70 and a Ruger M77;both CRF. I did own a Remington M700 for a very short time too but that was years and years ago. I became very accustomed to the CRF rifles and really don't ever recall a feeding or extraction/ejection problem. I really like the positive ejection of a standing/fixed/v spring/manual ejector. I can work the action briskly and throw the brass well clear or softly and deposit the brass right in my hand. The few push feed rifles I've handled have all turned me off. I think your response to my problem with my Model16 will hopefully solve my feeding problems with that rifle...I'm off to the shop in a few minutes to see. Now if I can figure out why my Precision Carbine won't feed the first cartridge if the action is worked too quickly. I may learn to like push feed rifles, Savages in particular because of their unique features like the easily changed barrel and bolt heads, but I'm beginning to doubt it. I have no doubt that in capable hands Savage rifles can be made to reliably feed and eject, but other than placing a projectile accurately, feeding and ejecting is really all a rifle does and should do so from the factory. I want a functioning rifle not a rifle kit. Certainly all rifles can be improved from their basic form but feeding and ejecting should be a given. Thank you very much for your attention and help with my concerns.