PDA

View Full Version : montana prairie dogs

calib
01-30-2012, 02:59 AM
i and some buddies are wanting to head over to mt this june to find some prairie dog towns. we are hoping to find some places we can go that wont cost much to hunt if anything. was wondering if there is anyone here that may know some places or some ranchers that would allow some active duty and prior service military guys to hunt thier land. anything would be great.

thanks

acemisser
12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Decide where it is you want to go and put an ad in their local news paper or check sporting goods stores..I am sure you will find a place..

tjf76
12-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Its getting harder and harder to find areas in shoot. Land owners are not as fast to let people on their land as they use to. Best thing to do is know someone that can get you on the property. I also like Acemiser's idea of the newspaper ad, most ranchers I know are old school and still read the paper. Most folks I know who PD shoot go to Wyoming/South Dakota because of ranch managers and owners not wanting people on the property.

Willoughby
01-25-2013, 02:46 PM
lots of public land in nw MT

rainierrifleco
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
just go and start knocking on doors

Willoughby
02-08-2013, 03:05 PM
lot of public land in ID & MT
google public land maps in MT & ID
eastern MT has miles and miles
of land that allow hunters to sign in at the gate
a little box with paper and pencil
fill out how many days -hunters
and they get so much a head to allow acces

lot of public land goes overlooked & unused by the majority of hunters
maps,maps, maps

GaryB
02-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Here is a link that might provide some help...

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/nongameFAQ.html

My brother, his son, and I hunted public land(Fort Pierre Nation Grasslands) in South Dakota last summer and had a great time. We were able to shoot from sun up to sunset. At the bottom of the page in the link above is some info about public lands in Montana. We also camped in the grasslands and that cost nothing, lots of opportunities.

This is about 1/3 of the dog town we shot for two days.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/1Michele/South%20Dakota%20P%20Dog%20shoot/IMG_1901.jpg

Good luck and have fun!

I wanted to add, we did have a map of this area. It was about 115,000 acres and interspersed with private land!

JCalhoun
02-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Looks like a lot of fun!