PDA

View Full Version : 6mm BR Lapua

1jonzmith
01-30-2012, 12:43 AM
I am shopping for the subject barrel. Source suggestions? Prices? Length?

Thank you,

John

Dennis
01-30-2012, 01:25 AM
Tell us what are you going to do with the barrel. And what gun is it going on.

Many use the 6br for hunting. If you going to shoot F-Class, I would go with a heavier barrel.

I will be able to give you a price as soon as you give the above info.

bootsmcguire
01-30-2012, 03:08 AM
What ever contour and length you desire, I would look at a CBI barrel from Northland.

I bought one last spring. SS, 28", 1-8" twist. Shoot great with the several bullets I have tried From 58gr V-Max up to 100gr Sierra SPT I tried to see if they might be accurate enough for some hunting. Barrel shoots great and cleans easy. Give them a look.

1jonzmith
02-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Thank you both for your answers. Had a breakdown in com with my Smith. He got me a BenchMark barrel I didn't know was coming. I hear good things about the Bench Mark so I not worried. Hear tons of good reports about the ones you recommended, as well.

Thank you,

John

jonbearman
02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Your smith made a good choice as the benchmark is a very good premium barrel. Let us know how you make out after it is chambered.Make sure he knows which bullets you are shooting and if you want a no turn neck which I suggest unless you like tight neck match chambers.With the new lapua(blue box) ,you should get a .2705 or .271 chaber,that way you dont have to turn every single neck.

1jonzmith
02-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks Jon

1jonzmith
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
I ordered a reamer for the BR Norma and 60 grain Berger bullets. He had the numbers in his head and rattled off the neck reamer diameter and how much freebore I needed for that bullet to be seated at the lands. I understand 10 to 15 thou into the lands is the usual but needs to be worked up to from zero. Anyway, That should start me off. I hand loaded for years and never got in this deep. This is a real learning experience and some here have been incredibly generous with their time and equipment. No doubt you have made this a successful journey cause without you It would have been much harder at least.

I will also buy a land reamer to get set up for longer/heaver bullets if the time comes and also to freshen the throat/lands and they say that will happen even if it is shooting really good but not like new. Wish I could afford all this stuff.

Still happy and swing'n as hard as I can.

John

Nor Cal Mikie
03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Don't be in any hurry to lengthen the freebore. It'll grow faster than you expect. In the case of 6BR chambers, a short throat is good. Start with the lighter bullets and go heavier as needed. ;)

1jonzmith
04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I hear really wild claims, to me, that the 6mm is really easy on barrels and I can expect to get many thousands of rounds from my barrel.

John

drybean
04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
easy it is plus brass last a very long time

drybean

frank1947
04-19-2012, 10:25 PM
6BR is easy on brass, and you will like it , load with varget and you will be happy, 1/4 moa can be done easier then most other cals, fun to shoot, cost is nice.