PDA

View Full Version : Pattern on Muzzle

cheetahjow
01-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Shot 36 rounds today on this 308 Winchester that I put together during the Christmas holidays. When I got back home I noticed the symetrical pattern on the muzzle. Anyone care to comment? Is this like reading tea leaves or reading palms? The lines extend all the way to the OD of the barrel. I thought it was interesting if nothing else.

Barrel is an ER Shaw from Midway on a short action single shot with a Choate stock. Scope is an old 6 to 18 Redfield I bought new about 30 years ago. Today I tried 46.0 gr of BL-C(2) with 150 gr Nosler BT. Only groups about 1.25" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Using the rest in the picture. I am beginning to think I may have a scope or mounting problem since sometines 2 or 3 of the 5 shots will be touching. The action is exopy bedded in the stock and I believe it is pretty solid. I get .75" groups with my 22-250 and 223 Savages so I was expecting something similar.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/cheetahjow/BarrelEnd1.jpg
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/cheetahjow/SavageRifle.jpg

My first time to post pictures so I hope it worked OK!

Cheetahjow

barrel-nut
01-29-2012, 10:56 PM
As far as I see, this just means that you have a good, clean crown. I'm sure some other "tea leaf readers" will chime in, too? I certainly wouldn't worry about that crown.

stangfish
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
The Shaws I have seen foul pretty quick but make good shooters when the barrel has been broken in and is clean. If you have a 1:10 twist, try a 168 -180 grain and us some Reloader 15, Varget, IMR 4895, maybe even 4064 and see if your groups close up. I know there are guys that can get the 1:10 to shoot light bullets but I cant. Plus the BC on the heavier bullets is better for windy days

ellobo
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
+1 on what stangefish said. BL-C2 isnt the best powder for lighter bullets. I have decent luck with 160 gr. in my 7x57 but it isnt ideal. I have best luck with IMR 4895 in my Model 88 Winchester .308 and 168 gr. bullets. I think you just need some load development.

El Lobo

earl39
01-30-2012, 10:58 AM
The crown looks fine. As for your load BLC-2 tends to be one of those powders that runs a bit dirty if not pushed hard. I like it but work my loads up in the hottest part of the summer so i never have pressure problems as the pressure will drop in winter. I belive as you work your load up you will see improvement. I use SMK's SGK's and Lapus bullets so can't give you any help on loads for the Noslers. My F-TR rifle in 308 holds about 1moa vertical at 1000 yards with 175 SMK's using BLC-2 with a 10 twist McGowen barrel.

cwop
01-30-2012, 11:20 AM
isnt that the start of a star pattern? a good thing i see it on my high quality 22s by the way.

bob

Nandy
01-30-2012, 02:43 PM
The action is exopy bedded in the stock and I believe it is pretty solid.

Let me show my ignorance here... Aint that a choate stock with the V-shape aluminum bedding block? if so why the need to epoxy the action? I havent in mine, it does shoot .5" so can any one care to comment? This might benefit both me and the op so I hope it is not considered a hijack.

cheetahjow
01-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all of the comments.

I will look at shooting heavier bullets and try some of the powder suggestions. I have had this box of 150 gr Nosler BT for many years and thought I would give them a try before buying anything else. I have no loyalty to that bullet.

The pattern on the muzzle looks "sooty" to me. The comment about BL-C(2)being a little dirty seems to explain the sooty look. I use it in my 223 with 40 gr Nosler BT and have pretty good results out to 200 yards providing the wind isn't blowing to hard. Never seen any sooty look on the muzzle of that rifle.

I broke in the barrel with 50 rounds a few weeks ago and cleaned after each round for the first ten. The barrel did copper foul at first but improved very quickly. This is my first Shaw barrel so I appreciate all the comments.

As far as why I bedded the action, that is a good question. You are correct about the V blocks in the stock. It is my preference to have the receiver fit into the stock with as much contact surface as possible. Also, I just like to bed the action whether it needs it or not. No particular reason other than those. Bedding is easy and fun and I enjoy working with my hands. That's it.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate every comment. I have been reloading for about 40 years and at times I still feel like a novice. There is always something new to learn about.

Cheetahjow

skoger
01-31-2012, 07:16 AM
I have bedded a bunch of guns with bedding blocks, super exact fit. Never hurt ones perfomance, and helped all of them to some degree. Just MHO.

Eric in NC
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
The action is exopy bedded in the stock and I believe it is pretty solid.

Let me show my ignorance here... Aint that a choate stock with the V-shape aluminum bedding block? if so why the need to epoxy the action? I havent in mine, it does shoot .5" so can any one care to comment? This might benefit both me and the op so I hope it is not considered a hijack.

The V block MAY be square and true but I bet a nickle your action isn't. Almost all of them are warped to some degree or another due to the way they heat treat them. The expoxy would help make up for that.

Nandy
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I learn something new gents, thanks a bunch. Will look into bedding my action once I get all the parts of my project ready.