PDA

View Full Version : Rifle basix sav-1 trigger

Shooter59937
11-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Hello all,

Does anyone know anything about this trigger? I have heard about timney and sss triggers but nothing about the Rifle Basix triggers until now. If anyone has experience with this trigger please fill me in. I would also like to know more about the timney and sss triggers. or how the rifle basix compares to these.
I know the tirgger weight is 1 - 3 lbs on the rifle basix, what are the trigger pull weights of the Timney and SSS? Any Information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

pa_wdchuckhuntr
11-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Here's my experience,

The Rifle Basix SAV-1 (1-3lbs) is a nice trigger. I currently have one installed on a model 11 .243. It's not the safest trigger when you get it down around the 1lb range with very little sear engagement. Basically it's a modified savage trigger with more adjustability like the old three screws minus the wire. They're nice triggers but over-priced as of lately.

The SSS competition trigger (12oz-2lbs) is more of a trigger "assembly". In my opinion the SSS design is safer when set at its lowest poundage with minimal sear engagement. The SSS is drop in installation like the rifle basix and only marginally more in price and well worth the difference.

I have no experience with the Timney triggers or the Rifle Basix SAV-2.

Jeremey

Smokepole
11-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Never had a Timney on a Savage, but I have one on a CZ452. The quality and materials are good. It looks to all be machined or EDMed. I have a 3 screw on a Stevens set to 3lbs w no creep and it's safe. I have a SAV-2 on a Savage set at 6oz. It rocks, but it's expensive. The parts are some type of casting. They're not EDMed or machined as advertised. There's LOTS of adjustments on it. It passes bump tests and the safety works at 6oz on mine. I have heard that you can flick the safety lots of times in a row and it will fire. That may be true. But flicking anything on a rifle w a 6oz trigger is liable to make it go off IMO. I am contemplating selling that trigger to free up some cash. I would replace it w a tuned 3 screw. 3lbs is enough for me on a 270 win.

Three44s
11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
My experience with a Basix -1 was not real pleasant to fine tune.

I would say for the money, I would prefer the SSS trigger.

IF no other choice were available I would hold my back side and buy the upper end Basix trigger.

And if I wanted to save bucks, I would contact Northlander here on this forum and buy a Savage three screw and acquire the smaller spring material to further enhance it's lower pull range capabilities.

Three 44s

BobT
11-26-2009, 12:54 AM
I have used both models of the Rifle Basix trigger. IMHO the SAV-1 is just a slightly modified version of the old 3 screw Savage trigger as is the Timney. I would buy an older Savage factory trigger before I would spend the money on either one. The Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger is a different animal all together and a very nice trigger, albeit at a pretty stiff price. I have not tried the SSS yet but I intend to at the first opportunity, from the good things I've heard it could be the best choice, a quality trigger at a decent price.

Bob

fatdaddy
11-26-2009, 09:21 AM
I have a rifle basix sav1 on a stevens action, mcgowan barreled, 6br build. Im happy with it. If your lookin for a full on bench trigger , this aint it. If you want a good trigger to hunt with, work a dog town or punch paper, its good. But I would agree a SSS is better for the money. Trouble is you cant always get a SSS exactly when you want it. Thats how I ended up with both. I have never felt my rifle basix was anything but safe thou. If you are not in a big hurry call SSS, Its a better trigger for about the same money. Bill