PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting article

zap
01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
There is a very interesting article on "longrangehunter.com", about the model 12/112 savage rifles.

I would like to here from you all on your opinion on how the author locks the barrel nuts in place. Maybe some of you guys are already doing this ?

Anyway, I thought it was pretty neat. I think I got all 3 pages below.
If this was already posted recently, sorry.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-model-12-and-112-review-1.php

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-model-12-and-112-review-2.php

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/savage-model-12-and-112-review-3.php

anotherred
01-29-2012, 11:52 AM
fix the first link please

Uncle Jack
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Go to the bottom of the second page and hit previous.

uj

darkker
01-29-2012, 01:28 PM
"The barrel nut is then bonded into place" What we call that, is a nutless system. Remington, Ruger, etc.
I don't see what is so difficult about throwing a guage, or SAAMI cartridge in the pipe, close the bolt and screw until happy.
That said, for those that like the Savage system enough to make it half Remington; more power to you :P

thirty06
01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
That only works if you keep the barrel on the same action. Which I seldom do.

pdog06
01-29-2012, 02:45 PM
This may work ok if you use only one action, but come on, how many of us are really that one dimensional??LOL...

He did say that hes never had a barrel go out of adjustment by using the jb weld on the nut when switching barrels, but the thing is, if he isnt using a go//no-go gauge each time he switches he wouldnt know that it moved till he fired it.. That to me is just scary. I would hope that he would atleast double check the barrel first.

ellobo
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
I see no reason to do that. I do not change barrels as my Savages are dedicated to a specific caliber and not changed. They are pure hunting rifles. Up here in the northern New England we have no prairy dogs, antelope, elk etc. that require long range calibers etc. White tails are the big game here and moose if you are lucky enough to get a lottery permit. A properly tightened barrel nut will suffice for me.[/b] We have coyotes but what I have is good enough (and they are hugh) to take them. I got into Savages because I couldnt find decently priced rifles in the calibers I wanted, .35 whelen for moose and 7x57 for everything else. Shots here at deer average 50 yds with an occasional shot out to 100. If I still lived in the west I would think differently. It wasnt until I started with Savages that I realized just how accurate these rifles are compared to others I have had over the years.

El Lobo

zap
01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
fix the first link please

I think i fixed the first link.

Great points pdog.

Nandy
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
"The barrel nut is then bonded into place" What we call that, is a nutless system. Remington, Ruger, etc.
I don't see what is so difficult about throwing a guage, or SAAMI cartridge in the pipe, close the bolt and screw until happy.
That said, for those that like the Savage system enough to make it half Remington; more power to you :P

It will be hard to do that and not taking the action off the stock which is half of what he was trying to accomplish. I am planing to use almost the same method (I will probably use loctite). I only have one action so it will work fine with me. I want to get a short action later on but I will not be using my long action barrels on it... I will do use my gauges to make sure nothing changed...

gotcha
01-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Norm went through a lot trouble to create the three screw action though I'm not convinced the third action screw was actually necessary. I'm not a gunsmith or machinist & I'm puzzled by the shimming of the front of the BBL nut ??? If he had faced off the front of the receiver (squared) & done the same w/ the BBL nut, lug mating surface, wouldn't he have accomplished the same thing w/o the tedious shimming ? Assuming there was no lateral play in the threads of the BBL & receiver. ....................... Am I missing something?

Blue Avenger
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Norm went through a lot trouble to create the three screw action though I'm not convinced the third action screw was actually necessary. I'm not a gunsmith or machinist & I'm puzzled by the shimming of the front of the BBL nut ??? If he had faced off the front of the receiver (squared) & done the same w/ the BBL nut, lug mating surface, wouldn't he have accomplished the same thing w/o the tedious shimming ? Assuming there was no lateral play in the threads of the BBL & receiver. ....................... Am I missing something?
yup, a lot of extra work. you can now spend it shooting :)

gotcha
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the input Blue! I'm reloadin' as fast as i can ;D