PDA

View Full Version : Checking Neck Thickness and Concentricty

bigmig
01-28-2012, 01:18 AM
I'm new to precision reloading and am confused about something that seems like everyone else understands, so here is the stupid question: Once you check your necks for tolerance regarding thickness and concentricity, what happens if you find one that is "out of tolerance"? Do you throw it away? Do you put it back in your die? Is this an indicator that you have play in your press or that your die is faulty?

From my newbie viewpoint, it is strange that I would pay $220 for a nice die, and then another $120 for a tool that checks to make sure my nice expensive die is doing its job. :-\

So in summary, what do you do when you find a case that is out of tolerance and you just paid lots of money for the die that produced this result?

GaCop
01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
In a nutshell.......If a case neck is too thick, outside neck turning to a correct thickness for your chamber is in order and to give the neck the correct tension to hold the bullet.

If concentricity is the issue, I fix that by running my cases through the Lee Collet die which normally brings the concentricity back to the .002" or less range. HTH

Celtic Warrior
01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
If you find the loaded cartridge is non-concentric, it can be straightened with one of these http://trutool-equipment.com/ .

bigmig
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
thanks for your patient explanations and a big thanks for the link to the tool.
You guys rock. :)

82boy
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I usualy dont mess with straighting the rounds, I figgure that there is a reason why they are bent and that alone is enough to discard them. I usualy segregate them in my box, and use them for sighters. From what I have found a round that is out of consitrisity, will again be out of consintrisity the next time it is fired and loaded. A round that falls into an exceptable range will usualy will fall in an exceptable range again the next time it is fired and loaded. Some people will do a slight clean up on the case neck in hope to get them to fall back into exceptable range, I dont because I want all my brass to be uniformed.