PDA

View Full Version : Why 2 LA Magnum DBMs for 110FC/111FC?

AASavage
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi,
I am really enjoying the great info from reading the discussions on this board. But the answer to one of my questions remains unfound.

Why does Savage have two different magazines for the 110FC/111FC, center feed, bottom release? One is for 300 Win Mag, the other for 7mm Rem Mag and 338 Win Mag. I cannot think of a significant difference between these cartridges to require different DBMs. ???

stangfish
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Rule number one...We never talk about Red Jacket. Rule number two...

AASavage
01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Rule number one...We never talk about Red Jacket. Rule number two...

I truly apologize if I have made an offense, but I have no idea what this means. Please give me Rules numbered two, three, and four.

Thank,
Andy

sharpshooter
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Pay no attention to him...he's just messin' wit ya. ;D
The difference in the magazines are the location of the shoulder bumps, those little indents on the side which help guide the cartridges towards the center. The 7 mag has taller shoulders than the .300.

stangfish
01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks sharpshooter, I have been trying to find that information out for 5 months. I guess what my bride says is true "you just didn't ask the right question". So thanks for askin the right question AASavage. The remaining rules are..... the same as the first one. It's a Red Jacket thing.

AASavage
01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
OK, thank you sharpshooter. If I correctly understand the intent, the 300 WMag shoulder is a little longer than the 7 RMag, 338 WMag, and many other short magnums. So, maybe, Savage thought it would be best to have a very tight guiding feature that would require two magnum magazine designs.

My long range plan is to eventually build my 300 WMag into some necked-down version of the 375 Ruger and when I do I will discover if the 300 WMag or 7 RMag magazine works.

It took me a while to find out who/what Red Jacket is. I don't watch much TV, don't have cable, and generally am repulsed by the hype displayed by things like Sons of Guns. Maybe I'm just jealous because those guys have wild fun and I don't have the money to shoot my pea-shooter with any regularity. So I promise to never refer to Red Jacket. It is kind of embarrassing to not get a joke, but thank-you stangfish for messin' wit me because I do like to have fun.

Andy

stangfish
01-27-2012, 03:24 AM
I hope you got the context of the joke. I could never find the 300WM centerfeed Magazine and never got an answer to why the magazines for the 7rm would not work. Reminded me of that one night I watched sons of guns for a forgetable 30 minutes and the question was asked. What does Red Jacket mean? That is "the rest of the story......"

sharpshooter
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
What does "Red Jacket" mean? I know that Will is part Cherokee. I think the other part is Pollock. ;D